Multiple logins (like terminal server)

shamusom

Registered
Is it possible (using OSX or OSX Server) to allow multiple remote logins like Windoze Terminal Server/Remote Desktop scenario? (I am not talking about multiple shell logins, but a graphical login).

*** UPDATE ***
What I want to do is setup a machine and allow MULTIPLE people to login remotely and run os x -- in the same way people would use Remote Desktop on Windoze to remotely login to a Terminal Server to run a sessions off that computer. Is this possible? I don't see a way to do this.

VNC will not do the job, as that is single session oriented. I need a tool that can spawn multiple graphical sessions to every user. And have multiple people logged in at the same time.

thanks.

um. i don't think so.. you could use Apple Remote Desktop to get from One mac to the other, but not two at once...

depends what you want to run on the "server"

if it runs in X11 (Unix/Linux window system) then you could do it..

Apple Remote Desktop will allow you to log into different machines at the same time.

I seem to recall something about a remote boot functionality in OS X. Several keynotes ago, didn't steve jobs demonstrate an iMac booting without a hard drive installed, and then bring out a rack of iMacs all booting from the same machine and OS across a network? This was back before the flat panel iMacs. I don't remember how this was done though, or if it required OS X Server. I don't know if this is quite what you are looking for, as you just said login, similar to fast user switching, except with each user on a separate machine, not a full boot, but perhaps this could work for you, if someone knows how to do it.

What I want to do is setup a machine and allow MULTIPLE people to login remotely and run os x -- in the same way people would use Remote Desktop on Windoze to remotely login to a Terminal Server to run a sessions off that computer. Is this possible? I don't see a way to do this.

Apple Remote desktop will do this. Just set the machine they're logging into with a user name and password for each user.

VNC is a free version, a lot less functionality, but will allow Remote desktop Control, but I'm not sure if you can set it for multiple users.

Look at VNC and see if ti will do what you want.

bobw said:
Apple Remote desktop will do this. Just set the machine they're logging into with a user name and password for each user.

VNC is a free version, a lot less functionality, but will allow Remote desktop Control, but I'm not sure if you can set it for multiple users.

Look at VNC and see if ti will do what you want.

The problem with that is, at least as I understand it, that while multiple people can log in using remote desktop or VNC, they are only logged into the current session. They can all see what the local user is doing, perhaps even control it, but they do not have their own session/applications etc - they are all seeing/doing the same thing. Or am I wrong about that? Or maybe that's what is being asked after all?

even using Server and ARD, you still just see whatever is on screen. what is it you want to run on the "server" that needs multiple concurrent GUI environments??

even server doesn't let you have multiple concurrent gui environments i dont think. what do you need to run on the "server"??

I need people to be able to log into a common server and run programs only on that computer -- without them having to download the program to each of their computers. Thus I need this Remote Desktop/Terminal Server kind of environment. Guess it can't be done..
:confused:

Actually, it can, as I understand the situation. The service I was referring to in my first post is called NetBoot (http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/netboot.html) Now granted, this is running the entire OS off of the server, not just the applications, and as such may be more than what you are looking for. However, as I mentioned in my original post, using this service the computer from which you are logging in doesn't even need to have a hard drive installed. All the applications are stored on the server. You do need OS X Server, though.

You're not running ON the server with netboot - you're running on the local machine, just booting off a network disk.

With a terminal server, you'd be working on the server directly. Now, I don't know if ARD lets you do this or not...

It doesn't. But, it could still deliver the answer. why not distribute the application to all the workstations? ARD can deliver packages and copy files to a list of machines quickly and easily..

That's true, I suppose - depending on what sort of network separates the machines in question. ARD would be useful to run programs on a computer that's in a different city, connected to a different ISP's networks; netboot probably not so much. But if your server and your clients are separated by two switches and one router, that might be a very good way of doing it.

macavenger said:
Actually, it can, as I understand the situation. The service I was referring to in my first post is called NetBoot (http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/netboot.html) Now granted, this is running the entire OS off of the server, not just the applications, and as such may be more than what you are looking for. However, as I mentioned in my original post, using this service the computer from which you are logging in doesn't even need to have a hard drive installed. All the applications are stored on the server. You do need OS X Server, though.
An interesting point on the right side of that page:
macavenger said:
By adding the remote control capabilities of Apple Remote Desktop, you can specify the NetBoot or Network Install startup disk for multiple Mac systems on your network — and restart them remotely. With just a few clicks and without leaving your desk, you can set up or update computers for an entire classroom, lab, or office at once.

Back