Multiple Monitors on a G4

meharrington

Registered
Hi All,
I have an 867 G4 with a GeForce2 MX graphics card and a 17” Apple Studio Display connected via the ADC. Is it possible to connect another monitor to the VGA port?

How about the new G4’s? The Apple Store says:
"Choose the powerful ATI Radeon 7500 card or the premium performance NVIDIA GeForce4 MX card or the ultimate in graphics acceleration and visualization, the new NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium card. All new AGP cards come with dual-display support built-in."

Thanks for any help,
mark

Nope. The GeForce 2MX is not a dual-display card as far as I know. You'd have to actually buy a PCI video card and put it in a PCI slot to get dual-monitor functionality.

...and dual-monitors rocks, too! If you're thinking of going this route, may I suggest the ATi Radeon 7000 PCI card? It's a little over $100 and has 32MB of DDR RAM. Very cheap for adding another monitor to a system -- I've got a dual-monitor setup, and like the advent of cell phones, I wonder how I ever did without before!

The new Mac cards have dual-monitor ability out-of-the-box?

woo-hoo! It's ABOUT TIME Apple brought that feature back out-of-the-box!

I can't even use a computer anymore without dual monitors. This is great news.

Oddly enough, I haven't seen much mentioned about this. This is a big feature, IMHO.

Tangental to this, how easy is it to use a TiBook with a second screen? Anyone doing that?

GeForce2 MX cards actually do support "TwinView" (Nvidia's name for multimonitor support), and I seem to remember when the Cubes were shipped with them, they allowed dual monitor support. If there is a VGA port on the card, along side the ADC connector, you should be able to connect a monitor to the VGA port to get dual monitors.

-B

Originally posted by phatsharpie
GeForce2 MX cards actually do support "TwinView" (Nvidia's name for multimonitor support), and I seem to remember when the Cubes were shipped with them, they allowed dual monitor support. If there is a VGA port on the card, along side the ADC connector, you should be able to connect a monitor to the VGA port to get dual monitors.

-B

phatsharpie,
It does have a VGA port next to the ADC port. I connected an old monitor to it but I did not get the extra tab in the Displays Control Panel. Rebooted with no effect.

Any ideas?
thanks,
mark

AFAIK, dual monitors were NOT supported on the Cube. The only option was to get a card from that-one-big-company-that-makes-lots-of-mac-cards-but-I-can't-remember-the-name-of-at-this-moment.

It was around $300...really pricey, but worked nice. Unfortunately, they never supported OSX, so after a bit of arguing I finally got them to take it back.

Back