Music Editing

Unless it's a specially formatted song, a piece of music is just a series of wavelengths. It depends on the song what wavelength the "voice" will be at; for example, a piece by Andrea Bocelli would have vocals at a "lower" wavelength than an Enya song would. Stripping away vocals from a piece of music is very difficult, because sometimes the vocal range mixes with other ranges -beats, synths, etc-...

Just my two cents. I use the music programs "Sound Studio" and "Ableton Live" for my editing. I'm not personally aware of a program that does exactly what you're looking for.

If you just want to delete the first few seconds of a song (your post is not entirely clear about that, Pat), Sound Studio is a nice program for such things. Some things you can even do in Quicktime, although I'm not sure whether the non-pro version allows this... Do you want to remove voice but leave music on the same "place"? That's rather difficult. You'll be able to filter some, but probably will still hear it in the background.

Okay, I guess I wasn't that clear as to what I want! Sorry 'bout that!

I have downloaded a radio piece called "hearts of space." It is an hour long spacey music piece and for the frist and last minute or two, there is a guy talking about what is on the show. I want to edit that out so that I just have the music.

Now that I am clear :), I will re-read the previous posts and see if that fits the bill, but any suggestions would be muchly appreciated!
Thanks again! P

Wow...I didn't know Hearts of Space was still around. I used to listen to it all the time back in the 90s. Loved all the electronic ambient/space music they would highlight.

Sorry for being a bit off topic but I had to comment about it. :)

Also You can set the start time right in iTunes to cut off the talking when it plays. When the song is in the iTunes library and appear in the list of songs, just highlight the song, do 'Get Info' on it, and once the Get Info window pops up, select the 'Options tab'. The preference to start the beginning of the song is right there, but it will not destroy the song to do it.

Back