Music won't show up but is still on iPod // 80GB 5G iPod

itsmematt

Registered
So here's the deal. I just updated to iTunes 7.4.2 and now my iPod will not display my playlists/music. When I click on the iPod icon in iTunes and show the display tab it says that I have 70.4 BG of data in "Other" no music, no movies.

So I then double click on my iPod on my desktop only to see that what is on that directory is still just what I had put on there for data transfer and storage. I really have the feeling that I just need to redirect my music to another directory. I haven't heard of anyone else running into this problem. Since the data is still on the "Hard Drive" portion of my iPod I know that the music is still there. If you can help me I just want to transfer all this music onto my computer using Senuti and restore my iPod. I have some music on this iPod that I might not ever be able to get again.

I would love any help that you might be able to bestow upon me. Apple of couse said that there is no way, but I'm sure they are worried about piracy.

THANKS.
PLEASE.

First try resetting the iPod by pressing and holding the centre button and menu at the same time until it restarts. If this doesn't work you could try a piece of software called Senuti which lets you copy music from your iPod back to yuo computer.

He mentioned Senuti already. Wants to have it solved without this long process of having to redo the complete library.

Apologies for that, I got interrupted while reading the original post and missed the last bit of that paragraph. Still might be worth a reset to see if that helps.

I tried resetting my iPod and I still didn't get anything. It's really weird because without plugging it into a computer it appears as though it was totally wiped clean. But when I plug it into my computer I then I get reminded that my iPod is taunting me by showing all 70+ GBs of music and not letting me have it. My iPod is a bitch, right now.

No it only reads your music library and since iTunes can't read the music library Senuti isn't doing the trick either.

This just happened to me. I can't believe it. Im so incredibly pissed. What the hell is wrong with itunes? Im not even using a mac. THis is unacceptable.

This just happened to me too.

I plugged my Ipod into a pc which doesn't have Itunes simply to charge the battery (I didn't have my charger with me).

Now I have 118GB of "other" files on a 160GB Ipod Classic.

Someone please help!!!!!

OK, I seem to have figured out how to get everything back if your data gets shifted from "Music", "Video" etc.. into "Other" for whatever reason.

1) Plug your Ipod into your pc
2) Find the Ipod in Windows Explorer
3) "Unhide" Hidden files & Folders in Windows
4) In one of the ipod's hidden folders, locate "itunesDB" and an "itunesDB.old_mlpmp"
5) Rename "itunesDB" to "itunesDB.old" (this is the newly corrupted DB), and rename "itunesDB.old_mlpmp" to "itunesDB" (no file extention). This restores the automatic backup of your DB that Apple doesn't seem to think we need to know about...

It worked fine for me. I didn;t pay attention to when the backup was made, I believe it was last time I synced with Itunes. I didn't add anything new on that last sync, so I'm not sure if you will be missing some files if you do this restore and you had changed the Ipod's contents on your last sync...

Either way, it's a whole lot better than rebuilding your library and all your playlists (they have also miraculously re-appeared!)

Hope this helps some of you!

alright well since this is macosx.com how about some answers for us mac users??? cause this just happened to me today and i just attempted this and no luck fore me i didn't even have the "mpmp" file.

Last edited:
4) In one of the ipod's hidden folders, locate "itunesDB" and an "itunesDB.old_mlpmp"
5) Rename "itunesDB" to "itunesDB.old" (this is the newly corrupted DB), and rename "itunesDB.old_mlpmp" to "itunesDB" (no file extention). This restores the automatic backup of your DB that Apple doesn't seem to think we need to know about...
This just happened to me and I cannot find the "old" file. I would really like to fix it as opposed to restoring it.

Can anyone offer advise before I have to begin moving all the music off my full ipod?

Another question...

Is there a way to save my playlists? my whole ipod was completely playlists and I'd like to salvage them if possible.

Before I restore my ipod, can I save a particular file from it to keep them?

Also, I had every song's volume manually adjusted to be even.... is there any way to save this too??

Last edited:
OK, I seem to have figured out how to get everything back if your data gets shifted from "Music", "Video" etc.. into "Other" for whatever reason.

1) Plug your Ipod into your pc
2) Find the Ipod in Windows Explorer
3) "Unhide" Hidden files & Folders in Windows

It worked fine for me. I didn;t pay attention to when the backup was made, I believe it was last time I synced with Itunes. I didn't add anything new on that last sync, so I'm not sure if you will be missing some files if you do this restore and you had changed the Ipod's contents on your last sync...

Either way, it's a whole lot better than rebuilding your library and all your playlists (they have also miraculously re-appeared!)

Hope this helps some of you!

OMG I LOVE YOU SOOOO FUCKING MUCH!! this shit happened to my ipod, i never saved any of my music tho, music ill never get again. thanks so much!!!

This just happened to me and I cannot find the "old" file. I would really like to fix it as opposed to restoring it.

Can anyone offer advise before I have to begin moving all the music off my full ipod?

I couldn't find it either? does ANYONE know any way around this??? My girlfriend is going to kill me if I lost her music.

I couldn't find it either? does ANYONE know any way around this??? My girlfriend is going to kill me if I lost her music.
For those of you who could not find the itunesDB.old_mlpmp here is my fix

I fixed, i used floola to find the correct itunesDB

For those who cant find it here was my fix
1.Download floola
2.Install floola on youre ipod and make sure floola works and shows youre music if it does not show youre music this wont work.
3.if floola did work and showed all youre music, find the hidden files as stated above
4.find the file itunesDB witch is the only one i found rename it to ItunesDB.old
5.Find the Floola folder inside the hidden files folder there should be an itunesDb file in there(only if floola worked)
6. just copy and paste the file to the same folder that itunesDB.old is in this should work.

let me know if it worked

Back