MusicMatch and Dell are pathetic...

HyperLiteG4

Registered
Have you guys seen this? sad sad sad...

mmipod.jpg

Dell guys having too little bonus try to rip your iPod ! They all want one ! Even if it's not working... so that they at least look cool :D

its really good business actually. the Dell DJ is already dirt cheap, $199. take off $100 and you have a $99 15GB full featured mp3 player that spec for spec, rivals the iPod.

if i had a 1st or 2nd generation iPod, id be tempted.

can you resell the DJ high enough ? Or do you get more money by selling the iPod directly on eBay.

Dell actually used to be the "apple" of the PC world, but now they just plain suck. you can't understand anyone in tech support and when you are able to understand them, they either take the ridiculously hard way or screw it up even more.

hate dell >.<

[edit] sorry for the off topic/pointless rant [/edit]

JetwingX said:
Dell actually used to be the "apple" of the PC world, but now they just plain suck. you can't understand anyone in tech support and when you are able to understand them, they either take the ridiculously Guided Mode Enhanced Modehard way or screw it up even more.

hate dell >.<

by "Apple of the PC world" do you mean they used to be small. this is true. Dell and Micron PCs were considered the best PC makers about 7 years ago.

the only difference now is Microns PC unit is out of business and Dell is one of the biggest PC manufacturers. so is the reason they suck because they are no longer a 2%er like Apple?

tech support in general sucks. i havent bought a namebrand PC in over 10 years so my only point of references would be Apple tech support. some of the biggest idiots around, but that goes for all tech support IMO.

consumer report rates Dell and Apple tech support the highest. so maybe in that respect, they still are the "Apple of the PC world." :D

baggss said:
I have a Gen 1 and I'm not at ALL tempted...I HATE Dell....

why do you hate Dell? i can understand though that it would be much more tempting for a PC user, than a Mac user. chances are a lot of Dell users have iPods. i dont what the ration of iPod users are PC/Mac users but id guess PC users are much bigger. this is likely Dells target audiance. definitely not Mac users.

Currently most PC users are still buying iPod, and therefore they use iTunes. But some of them do not like the Mac-like interface of iTunes, so they may change for a walkman that has a Windows-like interface.

kendall said:
why do you hate Dell?

I use a Dell laptop and desktop at work and BOTH of these machines are the BIGGEST POS I have ever encountered. I'm not talking the fact that they are hobbled by Win2000 and out LAN Nazis, I'm talking hardware here. The desktop has gone through 2 motherboards a hard drive and an ethernet card in 1 year. The laptop has gone through 2 Hard Drives, 3 keyboards and a screen in 2 years. This is not at ALL uncommon. The hardware just plain SUCKS...

I also use a Dell laptop 8-10 hours per day. It's not a great computer, but it does not deserve these insults neither.

well, i am still with baggss. my sister-in-law just bought a new Dell and and within a week it has gone through a Hard drive and a motherboard/ethernet card (seeing as they are combined)

they are defiantly not living up to the standards they once had 3/4/5 years ago

We have 4 Dells at work. 2 $4,000 Xeon systems, 1 Latitude notebook, and 1 $500 system. The cheap $500 system recently had it's on-board NIC mysteriously die as well... hardware test said everything was OK, but a painful clean reinstallation of Windows XP Pro did nothing.

Based on our experience, Dell is OK. Their support wasn't bad, and better than Apple's I'd say. I think it's troubleshooting Windows that is the nightmare.

As for Dell's machines, I think it depends where you get them from.

For example: Our school district gets bids from vendors all the time. The cheapest bidding vendor usually gets the bid to sell to the District (not always the best strategy, as you will see what I mean). Dell machines are supplied to our school district by a specific local vendor contracted by Dell to sell the machines. I've realized that there is a difference between these Dells and those you buy direct from Dell (as many people I know have). My theory is this: it seems as though Dell has given those third party vendors the "leftovers," if you will, while Dell keeps the best of the batch for their direct sales. Makes perfect sense to me.

Those that I know who have bought direct from Dell have not experienced any hardware problems to this day. However, I can't say the same for the many Dell desktops and laptops with similar failures (eerily enough) that have been purchased through an approved vendor. In our office alone, there have been many of our Dell Latitude CPt S 500 MHz Celeron laptops that have had the exact same set of keyboard failures as well as hard drive failures. It just seemed like too often a problem to be a coincidence. The screens would also go out on them as well!

Recently, we've purchased a bunch of new laptops from the Dell approved vendor, and so far, nothing has gone wrong. Of course, they are still under warranty, and we all know how that works. :p

i've got a Dell Inspiron 3700 from about 5 years ago. It still works like a charm. But since it isn't powerful enough for my needs, my girlfriend uses it and it hasn't let her down so far.

Back