Mute sound... and more

rootbubble

Registered
Is there a way to mute sound completely?

I know about the mute option in the sound prefs, but that still doesn´t mute the startup sound. I need to be able to run my Mac in complete "silent mode".
I have a TitanBook with OSX 10.0.0.1 (4L13) and Classic 9.1.

Also, does anyone know if using an OS9 disk optimizer will corrupt the OSX file system?

By the way, OSX works great on my book and doesn´t tend to be sluggish or slow at all ;) -I´d die for OSX!

Probarbly a lot of questions, but I´d be very happy if someone could sort out this for me. Like that --> :)

Where is the Infrared "control panel" in OSX? Is´nt it supported?

What soundcard is installed in the TitanBook? Is it possible to use an USB device with SoundIn capability to record sound? (There is no SoundIn plug on this box.)

Installing 10.0.0.2 if it makes any difference.

Thanks for a GREAT forum!!!

The only way I know to mute the startup chime is the low-tech way: plug something into your headphone jack. If you go this route, and I know it's a silly route, you might want to stop by Radio Shack and get a plug that doesn't have a 6-foot wire attached to it.

Yeah, how about those pre-X tools like Speed Disk? Can I use it? Better yet, has anyone seen a defrag for OS X?

-Rob

Good to hear about speed disk.

Question 2: Since it still can't optimize the startup disk (why the heck not?), and my Titanium has no floppy drive, does anyone have a clever way to boot from something other than the single-partition hard drive and run speed disk from another medium?

I'd say the answer is "Sharity," but I can't run that either from the OS X install CD, for instance.

-Rob

Just boot off the Norton Utilities 6 or System Works CD by holding C at startup. That's how I did it.

Don't know about IrDA but for sound in you can use a usb mic or adapter such as the Griffin iMic. I haven't heard wether this works under X or not but you can call them and find out.

Back