MWSF - Apple sets expectations high

fryke

Staff member
Mod
Go to www.apple.com ... The banner for MWSF sets my expectations quite high. If *they* say it's a big show, the G5 must arrive, doesn't it? Remember that we expected a flat panel iMac last time? We certainly do now.

:)

fryke: I'm inclined to agree. I just went to Apple's site and my jaw dropped. I guess it's going to be REALLY huge. Flat-panel iMacs seem to be a shoo-in, although I'm still holding out about the G5 thing.

We'll see.

i just love the excitement. :) gosh, those quicktime servers are gonna be overcrowded. glad i'm on a fast line, but i guess it won't be enough. ever. :)

Apple is intending on fullfilling these rumors:

1. Flat Panel iMacs, hopefully with a base model at $999

2. G5s (or at least G4+'s) with speeds at least 1.0ghz, and at most 1.6ghz.

3. New flat panels, with sizes going to 17, 19 and 24inch. 17inch should be no more than $699, 19inch should be no more $1199, and 24inch should be $2499...

Oh, and Adobe will have to announced a Photoshop shipping date, and Macromedia will have to do the same with Flash and Dreamweaver...

Here's hoping that all comes true....:)

Usually by now (one week prior), the rumor sites are overflowing with information about what will be released at an Expo.

Oddly, they are pretty silent. Is this stuff so good that Apple has kept such a tight lid on it?

or are they keeping a tight lid to keep expectations low so we are not dissapointed?

The wait is gonna kill me!

I've only been a mac owner for about 8 months but I've been following Apple for far longer. It's pretty normal for them to miss the high expectations set by their fans. I've seen Steve Jobs quoted several times as saying,"They reall blew it" at their last conference. And while I love the iPod, is it really the world changer they said it would be? I think the initial reaction to that announcement was negative too. (Although later people started to like the new product.)

I can't help but wonder what they're up to. Their site says, "This one is big. Even by out standards." To live up to the hype they're building they'll need new iMacs as a warmup, a new G5 to keep pace with the AMD/Intel advancements, OSX to be the default OS, and a PDA as a finale.

Is overhyping going to create more negative press? Is Apple making a mistake? This had better be good.

Another idea is that they have something we haven't seen before (not just an enhanced product) waiting in the wings. The iPod was supposed to be a starting point for Apple in the 'digital lifestyle' product line. Apple overestimated the sales potential of the iPod, but still turned a profit with them, as well as the stores selling 20 iPods a day during the first week, which isn't all that bad for a Mac-only, 400$ product.

Now, at the very least, flat-panel iMacs are a certainty. Apple has been wanting to do this (CRTs are hell on the environment, and Jobs being an environmentalist and all) and with prices for LCDs being what they are at now, they can finally make the switch over to a true LCD-only company.

Also, fast-speed G4s (or possibly G5s are coming to mind because of the banner, although I am not holding my breath) like everyone else said, that will close the gap. I am hoping for 1.6Ghz machines, but my mind tells me only 1.4Ghz will actually arrive (G4 OR G5) until mid-year. I am also partially expecting a new mobo design with this 'HyperTransport' 400Mhz bus and DDR RAM Apple helped invest in awhile back. The G5s were rumored to have it, and either way, this would be a great boost to the power of even current speed PMG4s.

New iBooks/PBG4s? I doubt it. The iBook might get tweaked, a larger display might be nice, but I doubt it. Wait until MWSF for those two to get their yearly overhaul (1Ghz PBG4s would be nice then...)

Get some Apple stock my friends I can see it really taking off, starting tommorow. This reminds me of the thing Apple did back in '84 during the Super Bowl. Although highly unlikely, what if Apple were to create a new type of computer, not a macintosh, but a new series of systems. I know it sounds crazy but hey it happened in '84.

Is it still possible to do something like that without the rumor sites catching on? It seems like it would be easier to keep a secret in 1984 than it is now.

I can't remember anything coming from apple that was a complete surprise in recent years.

The rumor sites have really had a bad run of it 2001. Mac OS Rumors barely posts anymore, and when they do they are usually WAY off. AppleInsider has a better track record, but posts rumors every 6 months or so.

ThinkSecret has been closer to the mark, but they mainly have covered software rumors, and it looks like most of their information comes from leaked betas that are readily found on Carracho and Hotline.

I can't remember anything coming from apple that was a complete surprise in recent years.

If I remember correctly, nobody anticipated the Cube. Pictures were leaked the day before the day expo, but before that nobody had any inkling that Apple was working on it.

Heres two articles i got from macnn.com

An Apple power representative for Circuit City sent MacNN an interesting note about the limited availability of iMacs and iBooks noted yesterday. "The iBook 600 is marked 1599.95 any CC product that ends in .96 means it's on it's way out. If it ends in .95 that means it's history. There is also two iMac model price ending in .95."

Noted Yesterday:
Several readers are reporting CompUSA advertisements with a $200 "price break" on the 550 Megahertz PowerBook G4 Titanium, and a note about iMac and iBooks that says "While supplies last. Limited to stock on hand." In addition, CompUSA employees have reported to MacNN that supply is running low on consumer Mac models, and a new shipment is not expected until the second week of January.

Twister
--getting a new iBook in janurary--

1999s MacWorld NY was a big one.
DP G4s
Cube
Airport
updated iMacs
and they never made a statement about it being a big one.

Okay let's think about the digital hub thing along with some of the hardware rumors and recent releases:
iPod - storage
Rumors of huge new LCD orders - displays
GigaWire recently trademarked by apple - networking and peripherals
iMacs - falling out of supply

If I add these things up I get the following:

A base station with keyboard, mouse, power supply, gigawire, and new Airport-II wireless networking at speeds up around 5 times the current 11mbps. The screen is LCD but it is removable and can be written on like a tablet. The screen unit has a 20GB drive built in and maybe the CD/DVD but that's all, it has to dock with the base station to get other functionality. So you end up with a tablet you can walk around the house with which you can write on (Apple's handwriting recognition was so good 5 years ago it was spooky), you can talk to it (MacInTalk is on its way back) or plug in and type to it. You can use your iPod to pull play lists off this thing, and there will be some sort of MPEG-4 hardware device to go along but I'm not sure of the details.

fire away :)

:D man this is insanely great, i really don't think there will be G5's though. If there is i really hope they boost up all their current G3 models to G4's. That would be really cool. Really really cool. :cool:

-whitesaint

Back