My First Mac

nighthawk45750

Registered
After all my Mac bashing, I finally bought one. It's one of the Fruity Color G3's. It has a 333Mhz CPU, 160mb ram, 6Gb HD, and 6Mb Video Ram. It's running Panther. I know it’s not the newest thing around, but I love OS X. I really love all the desktop animations. It's fun and easy to use. I was having some trouble with it when I first bought it, but it was surprisingly easy to fix. I never thought in my wildest dreams I would buy a Mac, but I'm glad I did. I'm even considering buying a new MacBook. I'm still using my windows machine, but XP had nothing on OS X. You've lost another one, Mr. gates :)

p.s. could someone point me in the direction of a manual for this beast? thanks.

I have one of those G3 iMacs as my spare desktop (Bondi Blue).

They are great little machines and, for a low cost personal computer that is over 7 years old they are still very desirable, useful and sought after.

A little advice if you ever want to hook it up to wireless, be warned that Apple's oringal Airport card, and the riser board that you require to fit it, are both becoming very rare and expensive to acquire. A good USB 802.11g wireless dongle will do the job better at a fraction of the cost, but make sure you get one that specifically says it supports MacOSX.

Thanks for the links. Im definetly getting that manual. I usually learn something by exploring it, but i really dont feel like messing this computer up. It didnt come with any disks, but for 20 bucks, I cant complain.

from user vanostade
"I too am so happy now with an iMac !! When I could afford one some years ago , nobody but a Windows retailer showed up at my MD office , though . But I have regreted ever since not to have that beautiful egg on my desk . instead of an ugly table-top , wires , and a bulky monitor ...I have an OS 10,3 on it & amperfectly glad .Only 2 problems , has anybody solutions fot them ?
I°/ Am afraid after 2 hours running the body overheats : hood very hot , light burning plastic smell ...I usually switch my Mac off after 2 hours , but once the image froze , which I atributed to overheating . I took off the lid of the vent , to let more air go into - and stopped to use the tilted-up screen position , which , I think , obturates the blowhole under the body .
2°/ When I registered in " macosx.com" , I was asked to give my email , and then saw that my Mac couln't receive the answer since I am on MSN hotmail.fr . How can I get my MSN emails on my Mac ?
Thanks to every kind corespondant

Vanostade
(1) quel iMac as-tu ? les 1ers imac G5 blanc (les 1,7GHz 17'') sont réputés pour souffrir de la chaleur
(2) pour récupérer tes Hotmail dans mail, il te faut un plug-in, du genre 'httpmail': http://mac-gratuit.fr/gratuit-266.html; je ne sais pas si cela fonctionne avec un hotmail.fr; Billou est réputé pour empêcher toute vélléité d'acces tiers à ses outils; sinon, c'est le moment de changer pour un Gmail ;)

Phil

Vanostade
(1) quel iMac as-tu ? les 1ers imac G5 blanc (les 1,7GHz 17'') sont réputés pour souffrir de la chaleur
(2) pour récupérer tes Hotmail dans mail, il te faut un plug-in, du genre 'httpmail': http://mac-gratuit.fr/gratuit-266.html; je ne sais pas si cela fonctionne avec un hotmail.fr; Billou est réputé pour empêcher toute vélléité d'acces tiers à ses outils; sinon, c'est le moment de changer pour un Gmail ;)

Phil

link ne march pas.

I nearly was able to translate all of the above. Je l'apprends moi meme. I got up to Billou, though.

Am afraid after 2 hours running the body overheats : hood very hot , light burning plastic smell

Remove the plastic cover from the underside. Make sure the "foot" is extended. Fit a small 12 volt fan to the top vent hole. Power it from a plug-top "charger" type power supply. Make sure that it sucks the air upwards.

Vanostade

Phil
Cher (Dear) Philippe 99
Thanks for your answer (merci de ta réponse). Ok , french is the most beautiful of all the tongues ( D'accord , le français est la plus belle des langues ) , but let's stick to english ( continuons en englais) , and so a lot more of people will be able to read us ( ainsi un paquet de monde pourra nous lire ) for everybody's profit ( pour le plus grand bien de tous) : look , a young man named Tracy ( regarde , un jeune homme nommé Tracy) has taken the pain to translate our prose , and to answer us ( a pris la peine de traduire notre prose , et de nous répondre)...He thinks the link you afford me doesn't work ( il pense que le lien que tu me fournis ne marche pas ) , Bill having locked it out ( Billou ayant verrouillé le systéme )...Look , is it a symbol of Tracy's francophily ( Regarde , est-ce un symbole de francophilie de la part de Tracy ) , we can see a locket photo of a young "sammy" ( nous pouvons voir une photo-médaillon d'un jeune soldat US) , clad in his sunday uniform ( tiré à 4 épingles dans son uniforme de sortie). The kind of young man my grand-father and my father told me ( Le genre de jeune homme que mon grand-pére et mon père m'ont dit ) they were very glad to see coming up some decades ago ( qu'ils ont été trés contents de voir arriver il y a quelques décades)...Maybe the same for your family in Wallonia , no ? ( Pareil pour ta famille en Wallonie , non ?) OOps , I see smoke spouting out of my iMac G lid ( Aïe , il y a de la fumée qui sort du capot de mon iMac G ) , I must switch off .Best thanks and regards , young plush tiger...
PS Of course , flemish is also the most beautiful of tongues , ( Bien entendu , le flamand est aussi la plus belle des langues ) , this added for the other part of Belgium , which us french don't want to be ennemies with ...

Vanostade

Phil
Cher (Dear) Philippe 99
Thanks for your answer (merci de ta réponse). Ok , french is the most beautiful of all the tongues ( D'accord , le français est la plus belle des langues ) , but let's stick to english ( continuons en englais) , and so a lot more of people will be able to read us ( ainsi un paquet de monde pourra nous lire ) for everybody's profit ( pour le plus grand bien de tous) : look , a young man named Tracy ( regarde , un jeune homme nommé Tracy) has taken the pain to translate our prose , and to answer us ( a pris la peine de traduire notre prose , et de nous répondre)...He thinks the link you afford me doesn't work ( il pense que le lien que tu me fournis ne marche pas ) , Bill having locked it out ( Billou ayant verrouillé le systéme )...Look , is it a symbol of Tracy's francophily ( Regarde , est-ce un symbole de francophilie de la part de Tracy ) , we can see a locket photo of a young "sammy" ( nous pouvons voir une photo-médaillon d'un jeune soldat US) , clad in his sunday uniform ( tiré à 4 épingles dans son uniforme de sortie). The kind of young man my grand-father and my father told me ( Le genre de jeune homme que mon grand-pére et mon père m'ont dit ) they were very glad to see coming up some decades ago ( qu'ils ont été trés contents de voir arriver il y a quelques décades)...Maybe the same for your family in Wallonia , no ? ( Pareil pour ta famille en Wallonie , non ?) OOps , I see smoke spouting out of my iMac G lid ( Aïe , il y a de la fumée qui sort du capot de mon iMac G ) , I must switch off .Best thanks and regards , young plush tiger...
PS Of course , flemish is also the most beautiful of tongues , ( Bien entendu , le flamand est aussi la plus belle des langues ) , this added for the other part of Belgium , which us french don't want to be ennemies with ...

Dear SatCure from Chestershire ,
Thanks so much ! I think I'll tear the ventilating kit off my PC table-top & fit it on my iMacG ... I heard recently in a pub in Avoriaz ,full to the brim with brittons , that an odd cat had reappeared out of nothing in a cheese factory ;Is it true ? ...

Dear VirgilTracy
Vanostade is very touched by your friendly answer , showing by the way you'll become soon one of our great francophone community . If you want to read some french , go to my answer to Philippe99 , a Belgian tiger plush by his identity photo ...Yours looks to me very much as a sammy in full uniform , hence an old man's nostalgic wail . But my wife , who has kept a much better sight accuracy than mine , says your photo looks rather like the eldest son of Maharadja of Bengalore...Is she ( once more ) right ?. By the way , all those old-fashioned accents we get in french orthograph seem lately to desappear , so don't let them bother you . And does "I got up up to Billou" mean that you actually bought some kinf of Windows device to be able to read your hotmails on a Mac ? If so , which one ? Best regards , and I wish you a lot of success in french .

Back