My hard drive is locked?

Matsaki

Registered
I have some problems with my hard drive in my Macbook Pro with Mac OS X Lion. Now I have tried to erase the hard drive to use Time Machine.

But I can do nothing with the hard drive. Erasing fails and if I try to install Lion again it says that the hard drive is locked. I even tried to use OS X 10.6 startup disk and erase from there. But no luck there either.

What's going on with Lion and locked hard drives?

Go to the finder click, on your hard drive icon and click info,see if you have read write permissions enabled for your log in.

I can't do that as I can't boot from the hard drive. I can only see it from Disk Utility startup disc.

If you can start your MBP using target disk mode see if the drive is visible If it can't be seen,looks like the drive could be on the way out.

The drive can be seen from Disk Utilities that I use when starting up from the install DVD/USB.

Since you have a TM backup at this point I would erase the disk on the MBP and reinstall your OS from the proper install disk. Or you might use your disk utilities to repair permissions on the MBP drive and see if that works.

Back