My iMac won't shutdown

jobsen_ski

Daily Player
Hiya guys,

I'm having some problems with an iMac G3 running Mac OS X 10.2.8 its been running slow (ish) and a bit behind (eg i click on something it doens highlight it for a few [between 1 and perhaps 10 seconds])

But the main problem is it won't shutdown! It takes ages to start up (sometimes up to 10 mins) but I've left it shutting down for as long as an hour and I come back and its still got the spinning wheel (not beachball but wheel type thing) I eventualy have to hold the power button down to get it to shut down! What can I do? I've repaired permissions and done all that I think I can/ know how? Any suggestions?

The specs are -
iMac G3, 500Mhz, 384Mb of RAM (128 apple installed) Mac OS X 10.2.8 with all updates installed? Thanx

There are a host of factors that are limiting your OS X experience:

1. G3 processor
2. RAM
3. Video Card

If you can boost any one of these things (or move up to a G4 computer with 512RAM and better video) your performance should improve.

Are you on a network?

A 500 g3 won't be a speed-demon, but it should run acceptably under 10.2.8 even with only 384 m ram. My 300 g3 clamshell was acceptable with that ram and only 4 megs video ram.

Problem seems to be recent too - unless I read the post wrong.

Yes, more RAM will help, but free drive space is important too, since osX uses disk space to store a snapshot of the ram of a dormant program (pageout).

True, forgot about that hard disk space thing. Maybe OS X is having to constantly rearrange files in order to optimize its own performance on a smaller drive?

Problems to shut down ?

1) disk full (keep at least 20% of disk free)
2) disk permissions (repair disk permissions - Disk Utility)
3) something that starts at login (or later) and cannot be killed (check processes - Activity Monitor)

I forgot. The other thing you can do is Repair Disk. Boot with your OS X Install CD (Disk 1) and DO NOT INSTALL X, but go to the file menu and "Open Disk Utility". Then "Repair Disk" which is a bit more thorough than simply Repair Disk.

Hopefully that will get things back in line.

ok ive still got 1.23Gb free on a 20Gb hard drive (I couldnt keep 4Gb free Ive had about 80% used since the month after i got it! I don't have the 10.2.x instal discs I've only got 10.1.x but I'd rather not go back to that hell hole. Ill try killing all proccesses before I shut down and disconecting all USB devices. Tomorow I'm getting a Norton utilities disc or something like that? that someones going to lend me? thanx for all you comments so far I'll get back to you!

DONT USE NORTON. It's been discontinued for the Mac because OS X no longer requires defragmentation (see a great article/post on this on this board).

Are you on a network or connected to any servers?

Nortons has caused problems for tons of people on OS X. Like Natobasso said, DO NOT USE NORTON's on an OS X system.

Look at the CD's that came with your machine to see if you have one. Otherwise, get the latest version of TechTool Pro.

Most Macs come with a "Hardware Test" CD that will test the actual phsyical parts of your computer like RAM, Video Card, etc. It might give you some insight to your problem. Maybe you have a bad motherboard; who knows. Hopefully it's nothing serious. :)

Satcomer is talking about Norton Utilities for OS X.

I suggest using Drive 10 or Disk Warrior as a third party utility.

Back