My MAC is acting weird,, HELP!

coolio2654

Registered
Yo, every time I log into my account the whole screen looks like the snow channel on TV. Eventually it goes away though. And I have an irreparable problem in disc utility.
Plz tell me how to get my MAC well again.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 27
Create a new admin account. If you can log into it without the issue then you know it's the user account in question that's at fault. You then would need to move your files to the new account (via the Drop Box folder) and delete the old one once you determine the new account functions without the error.

If you are worried that it's hardware, run the apple hardware test. (I honestly don't know what would cause the snow effect, but I'd definitely be thinking hardware).

Insert OS X disc 1, turn the mac off then back on and hold down the D key. Choose language for the test and run the test. If everything is checks out, then it's very likely a software issue.

If you have Disk warrior or Drive Genius, you might be able to repair the drive errors that disk utility won't.

As far as the "snow", it may be the video card, the screen, or the monitor going bad - you did not specify the type of mac or model number. Is it a desktop or a laptop?

The readout in the screenshot of your disk utility does not indicate that there are any irreparable problems - why do you think it does?

These are some pictures of my hardware details, gonna try to run apple hardware test
*one pic shows my "snow" screen as I called it, my desktop pic has walle on it, just so you know*

Attachments

• FinderScreenSnapz001.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • PreviewScreenSnapz001.pdf
    55.3 KB · Views: 6
  • System ProfilerScreenSnapz001.pdf
    900 KB · Views: 8
  • System ProfilerScreenSnapz003.pdf
    77.8 KB · Views: 6
Apple has some firmware upgrades for the ATI Radeon 2400/2600 series of video cards. Not sure if yours is one of them, but you may want to give that a shot.

Did you do the hardware test? (USE the disks that came with your computer).

Back