My macbook reset!!!?

coolio2654

Registered
Hello guys, as I'm typing this from my iMac I'm ripping my hair out over my mackbook, whose settings I think have reset. I was trying to reset an admin password through the terminal at startup (holding Command+S) and I followed this site's instructions http://aruljohn.com/info/macpasswordreset/ on the bottom. When my comp got rebooted, I got the cheesy Welcome intro you get when you first use your mac :(. It asked me to choose my region, etc, and if I wanted to transfer information from another mac, etc. I chose to transfer my info from "another volume on this Mac" (seemed reasonable) but when I do that my mac resets :( I did this again and the same thing happened.

I reset my admin password once already using this method but with different commands. What do I do guys? ElDiablo? I know you know what to do, hopefully :(?

That process (where you delete the .AppleSetupDone file) just resets your system to let you create a new user. All you need to do is make a new user, which will be an admin. When logged in as that new user, you can then open System Preferences, then Accounts, and click on the old user (probably the one you have been using before), then click Change Password, and give that account a new password. Log out, and log back in with that new password....
Please try to use a password that you won't forget next time :D

OMG, thx, I thought I was going to go to the Apple Store for repairs or something and use money. I really appreciate your help :).

Do you have your OS X install DVD handy?
That's really the most convenient way to change or reset your password, as the password reset is available simply by booting to your installer DVD, without having to run through some commands, or creating a new user account every time that you need to change the account password.
And, you don't need to do any of that. All you need to do is go to your Accounts pref pane, and change the password.
You do need to remember your present password to change your password that way - that's why I mentioned using a password that you will remember next time.

Back