my passport- portable hard drive

glamrockchick

Registered
got a wd my passport portable hard drive.. works when plug it into mac, when plugged into my windows 7 netbook i click on the device and properties come up, how can i get into the files ? wanna transfer from my hard drive from my mac to windows 7 netbook

It might be that you have formatted (or it is preformatted) the disk as HFS+ disk. HFS+ is the default filesystem on Macs. Problem is, it is not supported on Windows. Copy the files from the disk to your Mac, and format the disk as FAT32 disk. Check for example http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/270038-format-new-hard-disk-into-fat32.html .

Once the disk is FAT32, it can be used in MACs, Windows and Linux machines. Remember that FAT32 does not support all the features of HFS+ (or Window's NTFS); for example largest files are 4GB.

clicked on erase and md-dos but the fromat doesnt seem to stay .. i wanna upload tv series from my mac to hard drive and windows

Pop the hard drive into your Windows machine. Format the drive as FAT32 using your Windows machine (right-click on the drive, select "Format").

Now the hard drive can be read and written on both the Mac and your Windows machine.

FAT32 format has a number of limitations including file name lengths, characters that can be used in filenames, and the size of the files themselves (as artov said, no file can exceed 4GB in size).

Why not simply network the two computers together, either via wireless or a wired connection, and copy the files between the computers like that?

Back