My Powerbook G4's DVD is region-free!

Hi Guys,

I am reading with almost envy these successful DVD super-drive settings, and I could not find solution for my G4 Minimac, 10.5.7, with this situation:
"Vendor: MATSHITA
Model: DVD-R UJ-845
Firmware: D8PB
RPC-2 (region locked)
State is LAST CHANCE
4 vendor resets left
1 region change left
Region 2 "

Like in "Finding Nemo" the very last words,finally in the sea but in a plastic bag:"and now what?"

Thank you.
MP

"Vendor: MATSHITA
Model: DVD-R UJ-845
Firmware: D8PB
RPC-2 (region locked)
State is LAST CHANCE
4 vendor resets left
1 region change left
Region 2 "
MP

As far as I understand you also still have a last chance to make it into an RPC-1 drive. I guess the worst thing that can happen is that you end up with a drive locked at one specific region.
Don't hold it against me if anything goes wrong, but I think you'll be alright if you follow my instructions and have the correct firmware update. Best of luck!

Thank you for giving me an answer. I got some courage, so next week I am gonna try.
My only concern is that I am under 10.5, so I begin to regret that I did upgraded from Tiger to Leopard without to clone my entire hard drive.

Thank you again

dear tigrr,

There are many RPC1 firmwares, different sizes for different Macs (not for Minimac ), so I did choose this:"8122 BX21 for iBook 800.app"
But the result is"Your computer does not need this update" with the only OK button possibility what do collapse the Installer.
Than I saw only these:Matshita UJ-845 firmwares: DPP9, DBN9, DMP2, but not for my D8PB:-(
I did found a"matshita-dump-0.dat" for D8PB but it opens only the Band In A Box....

Probably this is it for me

thanks anyway

Last edited:
"Please be advised that the situation concerning Patching Matshita Drives to RPC1 is unknown, RPC1 Staff do not know if or when any requests for these with/out dumps will be done"

"and now what".......

Thank you for trying to help, this is so kind.

Okay, I am confused.

The page you listed--http://www.powerbook-fr.com--lists for the Matshitadvd-R UJ-857E firmwares: ZA0E, ZB0E.

However, my System Profiler lists ZF1E as my current firmware. What should I do?

--J.D.

Well, I am just giving up. OSX 10.5 is not allowing almost anything, so I will stay with one region from now and buying a portable USB or Firewire DVD superdrive.

Thanks anyway

MP

So I was so excited -- this whole ridiculous region this is a giant pain in the arse. I read all of tigrr's careful instructions (well done, btw), followed them to the letter, took a deep breath, double clicked on the updater... and promptly got a message that this update was not compatible with my operating system (10.5.7). I had the option of quitting or updating my OS.

Any idea if the updaters will be updated?

MacBook Pro 17" (perfect for movie viewing in any region)
Matsushita DVD-R UJ-85J, FAV1

I have followed all instructions to the letter - all was well until I double clicked on the app to update ZB0E t region free, I got a ghastly error message

The version of OS X you are running (10.5.7) is not compatible with this firmware update. Update OS X and try again

Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857E
Revision: ZB0E

WHAT NOW ?! HELP

thx

Frelled.jpg

--J.D.

Unfortunately, you are asking the computer to do something it was specifically designed not to do.

--J.D.

There is that of course - but these problems were designed to be solved - and I have a very low defeat record - THERE MUST BE A WAY - have found the software but now the MAC OS has surpassed it.

Also - although it may be blasphemy here - I am a PC techy not a MAC one - Yeuch!

If you read some of the linkypoos, you will see that one has to write a cracked firmware for each version. This takes a lot of time for which the author does not get paid.

Unfortunate, but that is the way it is.

--J.D.

Great costume:)

Well, I bought finally a portable one:
Vendor: PIONEER
Model: DVD-RW DVR-116L
Firmware: 8.09
RPC-2 (region locked)
State is SET
4 vendor resets left
4 region changes left
Region 1
The internal Matshita is dead, I mean locked forever. So now here is a new challenge with this Pioneer...

If you read some of the linkypoos, you will see that one has to write a cracked firmware for each version. This takes a lot of time for which the author does not get paid.

I'm the original poster of this thread. I understand the problem is that the firmware updater isn't Leopard compatible. I'm no expert, but wouldn't it be possible to boot the computer from a Tiger (MacOS 10.4.x) system DVD, then run the firmware updater from the computer's hard drive?
Alternatively, install MacOS 10.4.x on an external USB or Firewire hard drive, boot from that drive (first go to System preferences-Startup disk and choose the external drive). Then your computer should be running MacOS 10.4 Tiger and you should be able to update the DVD-drive's firmware.
Good luck! :)

Back