My refrigerator keeps my computer up!

macavenger

Registered
I have noticed recently that there is a direct correlation between my refrigerator shutting off and my computer waking up. That is, for some reason, if my computer is fully asleep (pulsing light) when the compressor on my refrigerator shuts off, my computer will wake up. Put it back to sleep, and its fine until the next time the refrig shuts off, at which point it wakes up again. Needless to say, this is very annoying, especially as I am trying to sleep in the same room. Anyone have any idea how I can get my computer to stay asleep, other than removing my refrig? Thanks!

The vibration from the compressor is doing it. You would have to move the computer far enough away so that it doesn't sense it.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I already thought of that, but I have two problems with that theory:

1) The computer and fridge are on opposite sides of the room, with no contact between the surface on which the computer is sitting (the desk) and the fridge. I rather doubt (although I suppose it is possible) that the floor transfer the vibrations that well.

2) the only part of the computer I can think of that would be affected by vibrations is the mouse, but simply moving the mouse does not wake up the computer. The optical sensor light isn't even on when the computer is asleep.

Is there something I'm missing here? Some other component that might be affected by the vibrations? Or is it something else?

If it's constant with the refrig shutting off, then it's related, vibrations.

Motors tend to create huge current spikes (we used a howen to test latch-up 15 years ago, as it was creating such spike that it was the best latch-up generator). This can go through the power supply, but also through the air.

It could be the current spike I suppose, with my surge suppresor simply not being good enough to catch it. But that, of course, does leave the question of how to fix it. Would I just need a better surge suppresor? Thanks for the input!

I know you said it's not the mouse but... What if you unplug the mouse? I think that if the vibrations are doing the trick your mouse may move just a tish and then that causes the computer to wake. If the mouse is unplugged it shouldn't wake the computer. Or turn your mouse over. - just try it once and see what happens.

Also have you turned off both wake options in the energy saver control panel?

Did you think about a repair of the refrigerator ? If the motor is that bad, it may create other problems !

Hmm, I've had this problem before with different electrical appliances. Sometimes turning on the TV would make the computer wake up, sometimes turning on the fan would, sometimes this, sometimes that...(one time a freakin toaster did it. Heh)

Anyway, look and see if you have a plug around that isn't on the same circuit as the fridge. I'm suprised this doesn't also happen when the fridge kicks on, that also makes a spike in the current.

And no, a different surge protector wouldn't help, not from my experience, anyway. Only moving it to a separate circuit did.

Yes, move it to another circuit if possible. I'm sure those power surges can't be good for your machine.

That's one of the things that drove me crazy about my PC. Move the mouse and it wakes up. Uggh. I know there's a setting in properties somewhere, but it didn't work for me.

My iBook doesn't have that problem. Neither does my iMac.

Doug

Originally posted by dktrickey
Yes, move it to another circuit if possible. I'm sure those power surges can't be good for your machine.

Worth a shot at least. Granted, the layout of my room wouldn't be quite as nice, but I supose I have to decide which is the greater anoyance: poor room layout, or constant computer waking. Thanks!

Maybe a stupid question, but do you have a surge-protector or even a UPS for the computer? I had the same problem with an iMac that was connected to my stereo reciever in the the living room. Every time I would turn on the reciever, the iMac would wake up. It was kind of convenient in a way, but I knew it was probably not to good for the iMac. Once I isolated it from the reciever with a UPS, it stopped waking up like that.

A UPS or a better power strip should help. When I got a new power supply for my iMac, I plugged them both in and turned on the strip; immediately, the iMac started up, so giving them power does affect their status.

Also, I am using a Starlogic mouse on my iMac (not officially Mac supported, but USB Overdrive works wonders—if only it made the trackball at the top of the mouse move left and right), and it wakes up the computer if I move it, even a hair. Basically, if it'll make the sensor light up, it'll make the computer wake up. I've had a number of times when I'm playing drums and the computer will suddenly wake up; I think the bass drum makes the desk vibrate.

If your feng shui is detracting from your good night's sleep, you're in a real bind! :)

Is it a $5 surge protector or an actual computer surge protector. There is a huge difference in the cleanliness of the power. See if they are on the same circuit. That may be it as well since it is getting a power spike when the motor kicks off.

It is very, very unlikely it is vibration. If it was, get your fridge checked cause something is definitely wrong if it is causing that much vibration across the room.

It is a fairly cheap surge suppresor that a friend gave me, so there are probably much better ones avalable. A UPS would be nice, but I can't really justify the cost at this point. I did go ahead and move the fridge to a different circuit,however, and that has solved the problem, so apparently it was electrical. Thanks!

Back