Mysterious folder creation? Please help

bryce385

Registered
okay folks here's my problem

I have this wierd folder called "Desktop" in my main directory (not the home directory but the one with System, System Folder, etc..) I know it's not supposed to be there because it was never there before. I think I saw it appear when I started installing all my software onto my machine after I had restored the computer with the restore disks and updated all them to the latest updates and builds (official, none of that 10.2 stuff). Have any of you experienced or seen this problem before? If so, which apps have you noticed that cause this? Is there a fix? Thanks for your input in advance (below is a list of the software I have installed and my computer configuration)

Software in Mac OS X:
-LImewire
-AOL instant messenger
-Macromedia studio mx
-Adobe Web Collection (the new OS X compatible one)
-Microsoft Office v.X
-iTunes 3
-iPhoto 1.1.1
-Fetch
-VueScan
-Toast 5.1.4
-Adium
-Internet Explorer 5.2.1
-Keyspan DMR (for my remote control)
-HP printer 1.3

Mac OS X configuration)
-10.1.5 (totally updated with updates)

Machine Configuration:
-PowerMac G4 867 MHz
-768 MB RAM
-60 GB HD

You mean the folder called "Desktop Folder" at the root level of your hard drive? If that's the one you're talking about, that's a normal folder placed there for the specific purpose of allowing a Desktop in Mac OS 9.

If that's not what you're talking about, then I dunno. But you can always simply make it invisible (using some utility like XRay, available at www.versiontracker.com/macosx ) and it will bother you no more.

The folder name is simply "Desktop" Which makes me think that one of the applications on the drive ignores my home directory when installing stuff to the desktop and instead turns to the main directory with the APplications folder, system folder. When it can't find a folder called Desktop, it simply creates one. That's just my theory. But what doesn't make sense is that there was never a folder called Desktop in the main directory before. Yet when I try to delete it, my system says taht it is required for my computer to run (btw, it's an empty file). ANy other ideas?

I have the same folder at the root level of my hard drive, as well. I think it's functionality is similar to the "Desktop Folder" on my OS 9 hard drive, however, none of the stuff on my OS X desktop shows up in the "Desktop" folder.

I just ignore it, but I am curious as to why its there.

For what it's worth, some time ago, for reasons I can no longer remember - probably to get it out of the way - I put the Desktop Folder into the doc. It sits there very happily doing nothing *and* doesn't show up at the root level of my HD!

Also, since seeing this thread, I clicked on it and it opens a finder window showing it at the root level and the next level is the OS 9.2.2 desktop!

I have absolutely no idea what this means or if it helps in any way, but it does look to me like the folder is a necessary thing - to have an OS 9.2 desktop - and there's a bit of goofyness about how and where it shows up.

:rolleyes:

Back