Need a completely silent external hdd enclosure (that will last)

boognish

Registered
Can anyone recommend an absolutely silent premium external hdd enclosure? I'm having a nightmare finding one. Google has been saturated with 1000's of cheap and nasty hdd enclosures that all promise a 'quite operation', but I'm not really convinced by them.
I've already got through two external hard drives in the last year (a freecom 400GB FHD-3 and a Formac 500GB Platinum XTR), both off which went from being reasonably quite to almost unbearably noisy within just a few months, the fans made a real racket on both models, this short life span could be down to the fact I have to have them on 24/7. So I've decided to try the internal hdd + enclosure combo.
I don't mind paying a premium for the enclosure. I plan to use a 750gb seagate baracuda, I'm not sure but I'm assuming the higher the capacity, the more cooling is required. Ideally I want a none-fan based cooling system, something that isn't going to deteriorate over time. The hdd will be on 24/7 so I need something durable that will keep the hdd permanently cool.
Any suggestions appeciated!

I have had this one for over a year and can not hear it still. However OWC does have other enclosures for sale also. The good thing about this company is their excellent service and they include cables with the purchases.

Back