Need a substitue for WinISO on OS 10.4.3

jer2eydevil88

Registered
I do pc repair from time to time and it would be incredibly nice to fill this void! I download a bootable cd image from bootdisk.com in iso format and then copy the bios or utilities onto it for work on that particular machine then burn a cd. At least this is what I used to do when I had my pc laptop but now that I bought a powerbook I can't modify ISO images or at least I don't think I can.

Can someone help?

I have Roxio Toast 7 but I haven't found any feature in that software to do what I need! If there is even a way of manipulating the ISO files through terminal just throw it here.

Just exactly what are you trying to do? The standard CD image format in MacOS X is .cdr, which is equivalent to .iso. Change .cdr or .iso maybe as simple as changing the extension. Macs handle .iso images with nary a hiccup. Macs can edit .iso files. Do you want PC-bootable CDs or Mac-bootable CDs? If you would say what you are trying to do, then we can help you.

ISO images can be easliy mounted and manipulated through Disk Utility (in Applications/Utilities) or through Roxio Toast. Simply double-clicking the ISO mounts the image as a disk. Dragging the ISO into Toast lets you burn the disc. You can also burn through disk utility. Was there anything else you needed to do?

I think I need to explain better.

www.bootdisk.com has a cd image in ISO format it is a CD that when booted from emulates a floppy drive and starts freedos. Normally I use WinISO to copy files to this ISO image such as a PC BIOS or a basic dos utility like fdisk. I would like to be able to copy files to the ISO image from my mac but I cannot find a program like WinISO for the Mac.

Is it possible for me to treat the ISO as a folder and simply use mv commands in terminal to handle this task?

Just double-click the ISO image, and it will mount a virtual drive on your desktop. Drag and drop the new files you want into the correct places in this virtual drive, then simply eject the virtual drive.

Drag and drop won't work if it's non-readable too. You probably need to copy the mounted ISO as a folder locally, change the files, and then burn the folder or recreated ISO/DMG to a CD.

See thats the thing its a strange ISO because it has all the boot files in a seperate format or something and when you boot of it there are two partitions A: with the boot files and R: (ram drive) with the dos tools you copy over.

So basically I can't see the A: files in OS X at all.

Back