Need advice on migrating, time machine backups and mavericks - 3 systems

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
I haven't purchased the Mac Mini yet, but for argument sake, let's say I have.

I think I've described the situation fairly well. I could use some validation on whether I've got the process in the right sequence, or if there is a different solution. However, purchasing more than the one MacMini or another External HD is cheating (that's too easy):cool:

Mac #1: MacBookPro, (2009) running 10.6.8, LOTS of stuff on it. (639gb/293gb available)
Time Machine#1: For MacBook Pro. Says 455gb of 999 available. External HD and all seems to be working fine.

Situation: I am keeping this machine, but would like to upgrade to Mavericks. It is currently running 10.6.8. I have been told I can partition it, install 10.6.8, so I am able to run a couple software apps that I know will not work with Mavericks (ie Lightscribe and my GPS Tom Tom, and there may be others). This machine originally came with Snow Leopard, so even though I'm upgrading to Mavericks, I have been told I should be able to boot to Snow when I need to (like doing an install? "C" at tone?). Eventually this will be retired, but for the moment, I'd like to have the ability to run Snow if I need it.

Question: TMs only work with the native computer, correct? So, simply hooking up TM#2 to Mac#1 isn't going to do the trick. And remember, there is more data on Mac#2 than there is currently space on Mac#1 and Mac#1 is replacing Mac #2.

Practically everything from this computer will need to go to the Mac Mini. So, I am assuming that the best way to get there from here, is to do a migration from Mac#2 to Mac #3.

Mac#2: MacBook, (2007) actually running 10.7, about 489gb available of a 639gb HD
Time Machine #2: 825gb of 999gb available ... working fine.
This computer is being retired and in its place, Mac #1 will be used. The data on it currently needs to get on the MacBookPro #1.

Situation: The 190+gb that is currently on this Mac#2 needs to now go to the Mac#1. I can eliminate the majority of the stuff on this Mac#1 manually in order to make room. And TM#1 and Mac#1 will still be matched.

Question: So is the best way to make room on Mac#1s HD in this situation, to remove as much of data on Mac#1 to make room for the data from Mac#2, then just do a firewire "drag and drop" from Mac#2 to Mac#1, followed with a new TM backup?

Next:
MacMini#3: MacMini running Mavericks as it's native OSX so I will not be able to install Snow Leopard on this one. (I assume)
Everything that is currently on Mac#1 needs to get to the Mac Mini. I wouldn't mind installing cleaning rather than migration, but there is lots of data. And, again, I'm assuming that TM#1 - which has all the data on it that needs to go on the MacMini(#3) will not pair with the MacMini as it is not native to it, correct?

Time Machine #3: There isn't one. I will need to use the external HD from Mac #2. So, I would have to format TM #2 after I have "dragged and dropped" everything I want from Mac#2 onto Mac#1. Then hook up the External HD to Mac #3 and create TM#3.

Sound like a plan? Or is there a step I'm missing? (Also, Mac #1 is staying "in house," no sensitive info that needs to be removed ... but if there was a way to do a clean install of Mac#2 onto Mac#1, let me know.)

I need to get all these ducks all nicely in a row before proceeding.

It is good that you are thinking ahead.
First, the 190 GB on Mac 2 includes the OS and you won’t be copying those files, nor the similar applications to Mac 1 . It would most likely be documents and other files such as pictures, music, unique apps that are not on Mac 1. Put them side by side to compare what is really needed to move over.

As for external HD for TM for Mac 3, when you connect the external to the new Mac, you will need to set up Time Machine. It will prompt you to prepare the drive. You can erase and format it before starting TM.

I do suggest you turn off TM on both machines while you are migrating Mac 2 to Mac 1 then re-format the TM drive for Mac #1 after you do the moves, then start a fresh TM.

Better:
I can't accidentally reformat or make changes in the OS of any computer if there is a Time Machine related to it that isn't Native to it. Just in case I need to go backwards.

It is good that you are thinking ahead.
First, the 190 GB on Mac 2 includes the OS and you won’t be copying those files, nor the similar applications to Mac 1 . It would most likely be documents and other files such as pictures, music, unique apps that are not on Mac 1. Put them side by side to compare what is really needed to move over.

As for external HD for TM for Mac 3, when you connect the external to the new Mac, you will need to set up Time Machine. It will prompt you to prepare the drive. You can erase and format it before starting TM.

I do suggest you turn off TM on both machines while you are migrating Mac 2 to Mac 1 then re-format the TM drive for Mac #1 after you do the moves, then start a fresh TM.

Apparently my first response vanished.

I understand what you are saying (I think) regarding the Time Machines but isn't it true I cannot use a time machine to "reinstate" anything on a different computer if that TM wasn't native to begin with? I have to make sure no data is lost and that it is backedup and retrievable in the event there is a catastrophic failure (like when I upgraded the MacBookPro from 10.6.8 to 10.7 and lost all backups from a year; I was able to go back and retrieve one tm backup and didn't look forward on it again. ;-)

You will not be able to use the TM drive from # 2 to restore on #1. So, yes, TM will be able to restore on its native or original set up Mac.

So hold on to the TM from #1 until you have migrated your files and checked the running order of your apps. And don’t trash #2, until you are sure you have everything off of it and that goes for the TM #2 as well.

Once you have made the move, checked over and launched your apps for a test run, you then can reformat and begin a fresh copy of TM.

You will not be able to use the TM drive from # 2 to restore on #1. So, yes, TM will be able to restore on its native or original set up Mac.

So hold on to the TM from #1 until you have migrated your files and checked the running order of your apps. And don’t trash #2, until you are sure you have everything off of it and that goes for the TM #2 as well.

Once you have made the move, checked over and launched your apps for a test run, you then can reformat and begin a fresh copy of TM.

Does everything appear to be in sequence then? I may purchase the MacMini this weekend; I'm going to stop into the store and find out what their charge would be to help with maybe the MacBook, MacBookPro problem. The MacBook Pro to Mac Mini is pretty straightforward migration.

I got the MacBookPro time machine migrated to the new Mac Mini. There were some kinks, like my mail settings vanished, but everything seems to be in order. I'm liking Yosemite and my fears of some of the programs not working have been unwarranted. Even a couple programs that STOPPED working with the Macbook (10.7) are back in working order with 10.10.

I've created a USB install for a clean install of Yosemite on it now and the plan is to do a clean install then migrate a time machine backup from the Macbook (10.7) ..
Since both computers were registered and set up with the same Apple ID I am assuming there won't be any migration issues onto the MacBookPro and the clean Yosemite install.

Am I correct and good to go?

I got the MacBookPro time machine migrated to the new Mac Mini. There were some kinks, like my mail settings vanished, but everything seems to be in order. I'm liking Yosemite and my fears of some of the programs not working have been unwarranted. Even a couple programs that STOPPED working with the Macbook (10.7) are back in working order with 10.10.

I've created a USB install for a clean install of Yosemite on it now and the plan is to do a clean install then migrate a time machine backup from the Macbook (10.7) ..
Since both computers were registered and set up with the same Apple ID I am assuming there won't be any migration issues onto the MacBookPro and the clean Yosemite install.

Am I correct and good to go?

After your Migration try out the free application that helps called EtreCheck. It will print out every part of extensions,services, etc that are or not compatible with 10.9.x. The incompatible files will be in RED and it will show the path to delete it manually. After doing the all this reboot.

Plus to upgrade your older programs check for them at Macupdate.com. Just search for them and they will show up.

Plus if you are a Terminal user the utility for Time Machine manual is:
Code:
man tmutil

There is a MacWorld article Control Time Machine from the Command Line.

Last edited:
Back