Need Ext Hardrive Recommendation

callieX

Registered
I am looking for a good quality ext hard drive. I would like it to be Firewire 800 and 400 compatible. I have been leaning toward the LaCie d2 Triple Interface 160 GB Hard Drive. I have always had good luck with LaCie I have an old 30Mg drive that still works. I saw a review by someone that the LaCie drives are noisy. Stores around here do not stock them

I have the 250gb Lacie triple interface, and it does seem nosier than my older lacie 80gb fw drive, but its not that bad. I suspect the 160gb will be a little quieter than mine, and don't find the noise a problem, so i'd recommend it.

I bought my one online from the apple store (I had a discount voucher) and it arrived promptly about 3 days later. You also get one of each of the leads you might need, which is always pleasant- now i just need to buy a G5 so i have something to plug the FW800 into.

I have a 200GB Lacie external. I like it. It's pretty quiet actually. I also dropped the thing and it survived just fine. Not that I'd recommend doing that.

I also use a Weibetech hard drive case (FW400) which I swap various mid-size IDE drives in and out for video projects. Works great. And cheap. I'm looking to go to the "combo dock" for an enclosure-free solution, which will be very efficient, tho expensive for what it is ($170).

The Final Cut Pro forums seem high on Hitachi drives these days. (see www.2-pop.com)

For pure silence, I haven't found a quieter drive than the Seagate Barracudas. You can barely hear them when you press your head up against the drive itself (not the enclosure even!). I put one in my iMac and you can't even tell the machine is on.

I have had bad luck with the IBM deskstars, but everybody gets a lemon or two regardless of manufacturer.

Just to interject, I recently lost all of my digital photos and music due to a Lacie external harddrive. It was one of those ones designed by Porsche. They may indeed make good drives but I will never purchase from them again.

I have the 160 GB triple interface and I am very happy with it. The 800 firewire is very fast. I have had many LaCie drives over the years and have been very happy with them. I had an old 30 Meg drive that bounced off the concrete floor and broke the power supply. I called them and for a miminal cost they sent me a new power supply. It still runs today.

calliex

themacko said:
Just to interject, I recently lost all of my digital photos and music due to a Lacie external harddrive. It was one of those ones designed by Porsche. They may indeed make good drives but I will never purchase from them again.

Mind indicating what happened. Or how it happened. Is this a bad product or did you suffer from a freak incident?

I just purchased a 320GB LaCie Big Disk Extreme about one month ago. FAST as hell. It has a triple interface: FireWire400/800 and USB 2.0. Very solid piece of hardware, matches the PowerMac G5 with a painted Aluminum surface. The drive is also rather heavy. One thing I noticed upon shutting down my computer since purchaseing it, is that I think this drive has two physical hard drives in the case. My Mac is set up to boot in verbose mode, so I can see what it's doing; upon shutdown, two caches are flushed. This drive also shuts down with the computer, and starts up with the computer. My el-cheapo 80GB GVP from ClubMac does not do that, it keeps running if I shutdown the computer. If you can afford the LaCie products, buy them, you will not be disappointed.

I would stay very far away from LaCie's Porche-branded hard drives. From what I've heard, they're total crap and not built well. No wonder they cost less than the rest of LaCie's stuff.

On the other hand, I firmly believe that LaCie's other products, like the d2 series, are of extremely high quality. I've been using LaCie since the mid 90s and still have all their peripherals and they all still work.

themacko: don't let that bad experience make you hate LaCie! I swear, I sincerely believe it was because it was a Porsche drive... I really have heard very bad things about them!

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I would stay very far away from LaCie's Porche-branded hard drives. From what I've heard, they're total crap and not built well. No wonder they cost less than the rest of LaCie's stuff.

Maybe Porsche should stay in the car business. ::ha::

The problem I have with the newer (and apparently more reliable) LaCie disks is their size. Anyone know of a small (fits in a safe box) hard drive with 160Mb+ data storage. You guessed, its for backup needs.

Back