Need for a iMovie Video Store

Would you use an online movie service to buy downloadable full-length feature films?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thanks. :) Guess we could have made this a _WAR_, but I'm glad it just became a poll where we both vote _YES!_ ;-)

Hehe... hey, I'm all for a little war if you're up for it! Start up a thread in the Café! Just kidding... hehe... :D At any rate, veering slightly off course: what do you think about a streaming video-on-demand model? Perhaps $3 for a 128k stream, $4 for 256k and $5 for a 512 - 1mb stream, and, much like the iTMS, the movie streaming application would keep track of where you are in the movie in case you wanted to stop and come back.

There's another discussion here I'm participating in where the topic is TV-out capabilities and Macintosh computers. We've come to the conclusion that the only way to get true TV-out capabilities is to purchase a 3rd party video card, as none of the currently shipping Macintosh desktop computers can be configured with any sort of comsumer-grade TV-out. If Apple recognizes this shortcoming (much like they recognized their miss on built-in CD-RW drives), perhaps, well, just maybe... we can speculate.

I think 'streaming video' is basically covered by TV. ;-) ... I'm not much of a video renter, I rather buy DVDs, and so I'm for full downloads and not streams... But: It could work... Only, it wouldn't seem so Apple...

True -- that would be a more Microsoft/Real thing to do.

Streaming : Subscription Model :: Downloading : Purchase Model

Apple's modified DRM on an MPEG movie. Very nice. Also available @ $0.99 a piece would be deleted scenes, director's commentary, and a short "The Making Of _____" skit.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I'll say that. Have you seen sales of portable DVD players? Heh. Hope none of the companies that manfacture and sell those bet the entire company on their success. They're flopping like you wouldn't believe -- they're an extreme niche item, and aren't selling at all.

We will have to see what future "portable video players" sell like, but if they start off like those portable 2" - 4" LCD TVs and portable 7" DVD players, I don't see much of a future for them.
Sorry to be kicking up an old discussion (and introducing a small tangent), but I just found this thread and had to respond.

I think "have you seen the sales of portable DVD players" is the worst argument I've ever heard.

Sales of portable DVD players aren't so great for a number of reasons beyond screen size. The most important reason to me is that they're not portable enough to carry around with you all the time (and then there's the extra hassle of having the actual DVDs you wanted to watch with you).

Before the iPod came around who would have thought that there would be such a huge demand to have a 5Gb+ hard drive to carry around your music? (esp. given all the Sony discmans, etc already out there).

There's no truly factoring the demand for a product which doesn't yet exist. I know this thread is about downloadable video and not a video iPod, but to my mind they're unavoidably linked together.

Kap

Back