Need help configuring HP LaserJet 6MP to work on OS 9.0.4 via router IP

tiffany

Registered
Hello.

I'm trying to configure an HP LaserJet 6MP to work with my 9.0.4 OS via a router.

I've downloaded the driver from HP's website and installed it.
I used the Apple Extras > Apple LaserWriter Software > Desktop Printer Utility to create a desktop icon for the printer with the settings:

LaserWriter 8 Printer (LPR) on first screen
PPD file to HP LaserJet 6MP; LPR Printer Selection with IP address verified on second screen.

However, when I try to print from Word, Internet Explorer, etc. I get "The document "" could not be printed. The LPR printer you are attempting to print to cannot accept jobs. Please check that the printer is not turned off or busy."

Can you please give me advice on what I can try next?

I would greatly appreciate it!!
Thank you.

Hi Tiffany and Welcome to the forum :)

Turn off Desktop printing. There are some printers that do not work with desktop printing. Once you have turned it off, restart the computer, then trash the desktop printer icon. Go to the chooser and make sure the printer is listed and give it a try.

Hi Cheryl. Thanks for the reply!

The printer does not show in the chooser. Only AppleShare and Laser Writer 8 show in the Chooser. Clicking on LaserWriter 8 does not give any options.

How do I get the HP LaserJet 6MP to show in the Chooser?

How is your LaserJet connected to the router? Maybe an Asante Ethernet to Appletalk, or what?
Make sure AppleTalk is turned on. You can do that right in the Chooser window, or go to the AppleTalk control panel and turn on Appletalk. Make sure that ethernet is the connection in use - from the TCP/IP control panel. Reboot your computer. Go back to the chooser, and select LaserWriter 8. You should see your LaserJet appear in the right-hand window. Click on the setup button, and do an autosetup, or choose your printer's PPD from the list. That should do it.

Hello DeltaMac and thanks for the reply!

The router is D-Link 704 P (http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=63). The printer is connect to the router via a parallel printer port.

AppleTalk is enabled. Ethernet is enabled. I've restarted several times. Each time I got into the Chooser and select LaserWriter 8 - nothing shows in the right-hand window.

Is there anything else I can try? What about going back to Desktop Printing?

I'm not aware of any way to get a parallel port printer to work through a Mac, without support for that through the manufacturer's driver. Easiest way to get your old printer to work? Forget the print server connection, Purchase an Asante EtherPrint, and connect to one of the Ethernet ports on the D-Link, and your printer will work.

I used to have the same printer. When you set it up, set it up as an IP printer, and it's que name is "lp". Make sure you have the printers IP number so you can enter this when you enter the que name.

ok. How do I set it up as an IP printer? Previously, I tried using the Desktop Printer Utility and later the Chooser. Where do I enter the IP address?

Thank you!

I'm getting a bit fuzzy on OS 9 now, but wherever you set up your printers you have to tell it you want "IP Printing" and the queue is "lp" and find out what the IP address of your printer is (should be able to see this number in the user manual or printed on the back somewhere) and you should be good to go.

IP printing is a bit slow so you might consider getting a print server if you're going to be printing a lot.

:)

i dont think you can print using parallel port. why do you need to print through router? can you connect directly to your mac via serial port?

I have a laserjet 4mp connected to an old G3 running OS9 through serial port. I share that printer using LocalTalk Bridge (i think it is called that) which is a free utility you can dl from apple. I print from my G4 and ibook through it and it works awesome.

if you are using an iBook, are you sure you're using System OS 9? It's possible the printer's old enough that it's not supported for OS X, which is the system I think is standard with iBooks.

if other printers are using the printer, can you hook it up to one of those and share it from that computer? that would be the easiest way.

forsure you can share a printer on a windows machine. I used to do that with my HP laserjet 4mp. As far as the setup, it would depend what operating system they are on and i can't quite remember the procedure but either i searched this site or just googled it and found lots of info.

Thought of a snag - the Windows machine that I could connect the printer to is not always docked as it is a laptop. Therefore, the Windows laptop needs to be present for the Mac to be able to print to it. Right?

Back