Need help deleting personal files

BM587

Registered
Hey,
I just sold my mac book to a buddy of mine and was wondering if there was a way to permantaly delete all my personal files?
-documents, pictures, videos, etc.
I dont want to run the start up discs becuase I have programs, such as microsoft office package, on the computer that he wants to keep.
I wasn't sure if just draging and dropping the files into the trash bin would do the job, I figured that would'nt complete remove them from the computer.
Thank you for all your help

All of your personal information should be contained in your home directory. Establish a new Administrative account. Login to this new account and use the Accounts preferences pane to delete your abandoned account. This actually just disables the account. Go into /Users/ and drag your abandoned account folder to the Trash. Empty the Trash.

Without reformatting then you can do several things.

Before doing anything get an external disk and BACKUP your data:
1) With an Administrator account make a new User account by going in the System Preferences->Accounts and create a new Administrator account.
2) When creating the account make a Easy password that you will tell the buyer.
3) Log into that account and DO NOT go onto the internet with it.
4) Only go back to System Preferences->Accounts and DELETE IT!

All you information is kept in /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/ . The only place on the main Library Level (/YourHardDrive/Library/) is in the /Library QuickTime/ folder if you have paid for QuickTime plugins. Plus in you main Library in /Library/Preferences/ and /Library/Application Support/ if you told a program to install in a location for ALL users on the computer.

Also if you bought any Fonts they might be in the main Library folder.

Please see my response in your original thread. Also, please refrain from cross-posting in the future as it is considered bad etiquette and in some places will get you banned.

FYI: If you accidentally post in the wrong forum, you can always ask a Mod to move your thread to the appropriate location.

Back