Need Help, Ethernet and Lightening.....

cory1848

Registered
Ok, So I live in Florida where lightning storms are an everyday occurance. Yesterday a hellish storm went through and once it started getting bad, I shut down my computer (Dual 867, mirrored) and unplugged everything including the ethernet cable. After the storm passed, I started it back up and I couldnt connect to the internet. No communication at all, no ethernet address either. To try and eliminate possibilities I tried multiple ethernat cables with no luck, called the cable company (cable modem) and talked with tech support for an hour, still no luck. They are trying to tell me its my card thats fried. So to try and eliminate the card, I connected directly to my other computer and got an address and communication. So here is my question....If my computer will talk with my other computer, does that mean this problem is not with my ethernet card but with the modem itself?

Will the OTHER computer get an internet connection from the questionable cable modem? Make sure that you reset the modem if you try it with another computer.

Have you tried both normal and cross-over ethernet cables? My airport base-station was damaged in a storm and it has lost the ability to automatically reconfigure the ethernet ports between standard & crossover. It didn't work anymore with a standard cable but it does work now with a crossover one.

No router, straight connection. The older computer I used to double check, I dont really use anymore so its not set up for internet, I just use it sometimes as a backup and transfer files to and from.
How do I tell the difference between standard and cross over cables? I havent tried that option yet...
Modem is reset each time I changed the computer....
Not sure what else to try until the tech comes out.
Thanks for the quick replies

If you can connect the two machines directly and share, then there's nothing wrong with your built in Ethernet.

Bob,
Thanks, that is what I thought and assumed. I am still just thinking its the modem that went.
Cat...As faras the cross over cable idea....I used the same cable to connect to my other computer and it read fine....So I am assuming the cable is ok as well....Not sure if I should Assume at all.....
Thanks

It's possibly that it is your modem that got fried. I also live in Florida (Miami specifically) and it happened to me when I wasn't home. I noticed that a nasty storm had passed by and there was nothing I could do. Thankfully, my machines were fine, but the modem was gone. Had to get a new one from EarthLink, which didn't take too long once I called it in.

Try and see if you can access the modem's config page (if it has one) and run a diagnostic. If you get errors, it's most likely the modem is dead. Call you provider and have them send you a new one.

Good luck!

nixgeek said:
It's possibly that it is your modem that got fried. I also live in Florida (Miami specifically) and it happened to me when I wasn't home. I noticed that a nasty storm had passed by and there was nothing I could do. Thankfully, my machines were fine, but the modem was gone. Had to get a new one from EarthLink, which didn't take too long once I called it in.

Try and see if you can access the modem's config page (if it has one) and run a diagnostic. If you get errors, it's most likely the modem is dead. Call you provider and have them send you a new one.

Good luck!

It was a bad modem. Tech guy came out and swapped out the modem and now I have a PC signal but the cable is now screwed up. Of course the tech passes the buck off and says I need to put a call in for the cable guy to come out and fix that cause he doesnt know how that works....At least its not my machine.

Back