Need help in Downgrading Snow leopard

nicken

Registered
I had just reinstall my OS X leopard to my MBP.
i wanted to restore my data back from my time machine that i have back up from my IMac which is running on snow leopard now.
it prompt me a message saying my MBP is running on lower version so cant restore from the using time machine.

What should i do now to restore back to my leopard OS for my MBP ?

- i thought of reinstalling my imac OS but i'm afraid that my time machine last back up is snow leopard then i will have to upgrade before i can do a restore.

Regards
ken

Sounds like you need the macbook pro to be running Snow Leopard. If the version of Snow Leopard you purchased isn't part of a family pack, get the family pack and you should be all set. Or else you can purge through some of your earlier Time Machine backups before you installed 10.6 and restore from one of those.

when i enter the time machine , i don't know which application or file should i go for restore. i tried click on the mac HD few days back then punch restore .
seems like nothing happens , my imac OS is till snow leopard.

i tried plug my time machine to my macbook pro to retry , this time it can even capture any files or application for back up.

If you have installed Snow Leopard, and you want to go back to Leopard, and you have a Time Machine backup of your Leopard system, then do the following:

1) Boot from your Leopard Install/Restore CD/DVD.
2) Erase your hard drive using Disk Utility.
3) Choose the option to restore your system from a Time Machine backup.
3) Select the correct backup, and let the system do its magic.

I suspect what you've been trying to do is boot from the Snow Leopard DVD and restore a Leopard system (which won't work, probably, as you've found out), or boot from the Leopard install DVD and try to restore a Time Machine backup that was taken after you upgraded to Snow Leopard.

or boot from the Leopard install DVD and try to restore a Time Machine backup that was taken after you upgraded to Snow Leopard.

yes you are right , i boot from leopard install DVD and restore from backup after i upgrade to snow leopard.

now what shall i do in order to do the right way of restoring back to leopard.

mind guiding me step by step .

thank you

This is the part where i have trouble . i plug in my time machine and restore using the migratioin assistance. it prompt me to upgrade to OS X 10.6 in order to restore from the time machine.

is there any part that i miss out ? how do i select the correct back up for restore ?

i even enter time machine from my imac and tried to restore back to the date before i install my snow leopard. however it still can work.

perhaps i did wrongly during the selection on the correct backup part.

please help me on that. Thank you :)

I
1) Boot from your Leopard Install/Restore CD/DVD.
2) Erase your hard drive using Disk Utility.

If you are trying to select a particular time machine backup beside the latest one, you need to boot to the installer and reformat the drive. Then you can go to utilities/restore from backup and then choose the backup that you want to restore from. Doing it this way you won't get any prompts about what OS you are restoring to because it will bring the system along with it. Obviously you haven't followed the instructions that ElDiabloConCaca graciously posted previously.

If you are trying to select a particular time machine backup beside the latest one, you need to boot to the installer and reformat the drive. Then you can go to utilities/restore from backup and then choose the backup that you want to restore from. Doing it this way you won't get any prompts about what OS you are restoring to because it will bring the system along with it. Obviously you haven't followed the instructions that ElDiabloConCaca graciously posted previously.

i think my backup on the time machine is snow leopard. i did not back up leopard on my time machine. how can i restore my backup of the snow leopard back to leopard.

Thanks

You can't. Not directly. You can, however, clean install and then bring back stuff by hand. But: Many programs, like Mail.app, probably simply won't open the new versions of their databases and stuff... If you really want the backup back up (heh), you'll need to install Snow Leopard instead of Leopard.

Back