Need help with new G-5 iMac & build-in camera

TerryMcK

Registered
Just set up the new G-5 iMac. Went through the Setup Wizard, the camera took my picture for the Account record. Then, when I opened iChat the screen said the camera is in use by another application. No other applications are open.

Ideas would be appreciated......what am I missing?

Terry

Did you restart? Could be something left over from setup. Otherwise, run /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor, and post what is running.

Just to clarify, is this the Intel or PowerPC iMac?

eric2006 said:
Did you restart? Could be something left over from setup. Otherwise, run /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor, and post what is running.

PowerPC -- and I'll do your suggestions in the morning. Thanks.

Terry

eric2006 said:

PowerPC. Restarted, no change. Applications running:

Activity Monitor
midimport
pipedaemon
Dock
HP Communications
Finder
System UlServer
pbs
loginwindow
STSServer

When the Activity Monitor opened it also listed iChat Agent and something starting with "Syndication...." -- couldn't see the rest becuase the window column was too narrow and by the time I widened it, it and the iChat Agent had disappeared.

Any ideas?

Terry

THIS TIME WITH THE LISTED PROCESSES:

TerryMcK said:
PowerPC. Restarted, no change. Applications running:

210 Activity Monitor
197 midimport
97 pipedaemon
88 Dock
87 HP Communications
82 Finder
81 System UlServer
75 pbs
66 loginwindow
65 STSServer

You have free telephone support for half a year after purchase, you might want to use that, because they will probably have an answer if a ton of iMacs are dysfunctional out-of-the-box.
Does Photo Booth work?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Some websites recommend unplugging the camera, waiting a minute, then plugging back in to resolve this error.

The camera is built into the iMac. Would unplugging the computer help?

Terry

No, don't unplug it. That won't make any difference (because you will have turned the computer off anyways, right?). Does the app "Photo booth" work?

eric2006 said:
No, don't unplug it. That won't make any difference (because you will have turned the computer off anyways, right?). Does the app "Photo booth" work?

Nope......same message......camera in use by another application. I shut down & restarted to be sure nothing is running. Still same response.

Terry

Hmm.. there's an ancient thread about an iSight camera with the same error.. apparently, re-installing quicktime fixed it. Try downloading and re-installing quicktime.

eric2006 said:
Hmm.. there's an ancient thread about an iSight camera with the same error.. apparently, re-installing quicktime fixed it. Try downloading and re-installing quicktime.

Do you suggest trashing the old Quicktime first, or re-installing over it?

Terry

Back