Need Help with optimizing Mail

ThickAir

Pixel Hustler
I had emails on my system I was passing from workstation to workstation over the years and recently realized that I had emails from 2004 still in Apple Mail. I now use MailSteward so I backed up everything into databases and now just keep the current year's emails in Mail.app so it's tidier.

The problem I have is that MailSteward is still searching all the mboxes that exist and I can't tell which are being used and which aren't. I switched servers a few times over the years so the mboxes changed. I don't want to inadvertently delete mailboxes I use as setting them all up again will be a pain. MailSteward also takes much longer to scan for mail to backup because of all those mboxes.

The reason this also arose is because I've been slowly switching everything over into Snow Leopard and Mail is the last thing to go. I don't want to copy mboxes I don't need.

So I'd like to know if there is a manual way or an automated way (such as through the OS, mail or 3rd party app) to clean out the Mail folder in the user Library, basically like an optimizing of it.

Thanks

Back