Need help with power Mac Please

ljohnson

Registered
I just bought a old power Mac g4 for $100 bucks. I got everything that comes with it except the mouse. So when I got home and hook it up to my tv it comes up to the apple logo, but after it try's to leave from that part the screen goes blank and says unsurpored. I thinking it may be the graphic card or maybe I need the original monitor for this computer. Please if u have any suggesting for me love to hear it. Thanks

Last edited:
The video card doesn't know what to do with that TV, I suppose.
Try booting to Safe boot mode (hold the shift key until you see the rotating gear under the grey Apple, then release the shift key, and let it boot, then login at the login window)
That may give you the chance to change display settings, then restart.
What is a 'motion?' Do you mean mouse? Any USB mouse can be used, there's really nothing special about the Apple mouse. And, the mouse has no effect on the graphic card, or the external display that is being used. If you can't get the TV to cooperate, then you will need an actual computer display. Most any PowerMac G4 will have at least a VGA connector available on the graphics card.

What's wrong with the graphics card that you have now?
You should not expect a TV to work with your Mac without changing any settings.
Your system is not designed to work directly with a television - that's why you get the 'unsupported' message.
How are you connecting from the vid card to the TV? (what type of connector or adapter are you using with that?)
Can you try a display that has a chance of working?
Did you try the Safe Boot mode yet? You may be able to get that TV to work by changing the Displays settings (in System Preferences to support it (if possible.)

I'm using VGA from the computer straight to my VGA connector on my tv.
I tried to enter into safe boot mode, but it still doing the something.

There's a serial number/configuration label on the back of your PowerMac. You can see the processor speed, and maybe the video card (that came with it originally).

You might be trying a TV that just won't work with the vid card that you have. Knowing which vid card that you have might help. If the serial number label is no help, then you'll need to try to identify the card by looking at the card (tough to do), or try a display/monitor that possibly should work, something else than what you have now.
Maybe you can try a computer repair shop (doesn't have to be an Apple specific shop, although that can help) where you might get to try a working display.

Back