Need help with selecting external cd/dvd burner

moderne28

Registered
Hi,
I am a newbie and need some help. We have an imac G5 and I think the cd drive has died...it just keeps spitting out the discs or does not recognize the disc. From reading the forum posts here, it appears the best solution for me may be to buy an external cd/dvd burner.

I went to newegg and looked around but I cannot tell if the external burners they sell are compatible with macs. Could someone please point me to a good external burner that is compatible with macs? Thank you!

External is the way to go. Try calling macmall (macmall.com). They should be able to get you what you need.

Sorry to Necro this thread, but I am having problems with my Macbook MaSHITa drive which I detail Here. If the results of that are "you are frelled" I will need another drive.

As much as I love the convenience of an internal CD/DVD burner, the price of ~$100-150 appears unjustifiable for a crappy drive--this is this computer's second "super drive."

Do people have recommendations. I have had bad experiences with OWC, but I am looking at their OWC Value Line USB2.0/1.1 Super-MultiDrive with LightScribe.

I am also looking at the ASUS USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive SDRW-08D1S-U

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

--J.D.

Last edited:
Back