Need my Password for Everything

midijeep

Registered
Hi,
Every time I put something in the trash the system wants me to type in my password and then immediately empties the trash without me telling it too. Also if I move files to different folders the system ask for my password. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

You don’t say what version OS X you are running. It could be you have parental controls set or simple finder. Check System Preferences>users - click on your user name to see what your setting are. Depending on the OS version, you may need to check the Parental Controls panel.
If you are the main user and/or the only user, you should have your user name set as Admin.

I am running the latest, OSX 10.7.2. I never set the admin account(account I always login too) to any parental control. What I have dine is 1) deleted the .Trash folder and made a new one via terminal - did not fix the problem. 2) started up with the Lion disc I made and run Disk Utility - didn't work.

Do you have File Vault turned on? Go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy

Check the General tab and the FileVault tab. If any of those are on, it will ask for your password every time you move files.

Try opening Disk Utility (don't boot from the Lion disc, just open it up while you're logged into your account) and run a "Repair Permissions" procedure on your boot drive.

This article explains how to delete a Trash folder and recreate it, but also mentions you need to restart the Finder, log out and back in, or restart the computer to have the Finder recognize the new folder:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20061216221914302

You can also simply delete the Trash folder by using the first command ONLY, then log out and back into the computer. OS X will automatically create a new Trash folder with the proper permissions.

OK fixed! Thanks for your help.
What I ended up doing:
Opened terminal typed in "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash", then typed "~/.Trash" to see if there was a trash directory (was deleted with previous command),
then completely shut down the mac, restarted, where the mac made a new .Trash directory.

Back