Need to punish kids...how to disable accounts

cbmeeks

Registered
Our Mac is 10.3.8

Everyone has their own account and mine is the only one that is Admin.
When we punish the girls, on the PC I could disable their account without deleting and they couldn't log in.

How can I do this on the Mac?

I have changed the password but it says they can change the Keychain password and it won't let me access their keychain file without knowing their password.

I feel like I am not in total control of this computer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

cbmeeks

Change the limitations for the accounts. You can let them login, but they can't open any programs or utilities, and they can't change any settings until you turn them back on.

Yeah, brilliant idea.

Go to System Preferences>Users>UserName>Limitations>Select 'Simple Finder'>Uncheck all items on Allow List.

How did you change the password in the first place without knowing their original password? I thought it verified.

Doug

An administrator can change the non-administrator account password. All you need is an administrator password.

Wow, times have changed. In my age we got confinement to one's room. Now your computer account get locked.. :)

I thought you can simply ignore the keychain message? Once they can't login because they don't know their account's pw, nothing should be happening with keychain...

Just for the record you cannot change their keychain password without the original so in that regard you do not have total control of the computer. That is because the keychain is actually encrypted with that password. This is a good thing because it means that if a thief has access to your machine they cannot get your personal banking info and the like back out.

Zammy-Sam said:
Wow, times have changed. In my age we got confinement to one's room. Now your computer account get locked.. :)

Well I am 31 and my parents never sent me to my room because that is where I was all the time anyway...on my Commodore! hehe

I can understand about the keychain access. Changing their password does work but not as elegant as I would like. I think I will try the limit account and see what that does.

On the PC, I had a program called WatchDog that also let me setup time limits...so they wouldn't spend 10 hours all weekend on the computer!

cb

Back