Network Attached Storage (NAS) freezes

jmartin724

Registered
Hopefully someone can help me out with this.

I bought a Cavalry CAND3001T0 1TB Network Storage with RAID about three weeks ago. The idea was to set up a network drive where multiple computers could access the same files from one central repository (specifically the iTunes library and our photo collection).

I decided on the NAS solution because I am planning on getting a MacBook Pro in the next few months and thought this would be easier than just having an external hard drive that I would plug into each machine as needed.

The problem I have is when I am trying to rebuild the iTunes library on the NAS, it runs into an issue (for some reason when it is checking the gapless playback) where the drive stops responding, then my computer stops responding. I can move my mouse and my caps lock works, but I can't switch between programs or anything. I can't do an apple-option-esc to get the force quit window or anything. The only recourse I have is to press the power button to shut down the machine.

I use the iTunes issue as an example, since that is the one that has happened the most numerous times, but I don't think it has to do with iTunes. It also happened while copying photos from the NAS to a thumb drive. I just didn't try to do that again.

I got a G5 PPC tower dual 2 GHz running 10.4.11

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Should this thread be in network instead of peripherals?

Does anyone have a suggestion? I would hate to not be able to use my NAS as a true network drive.

:(

when i log into my NAS web interface, it says that the file system is EXT3 and it is set up as a RAID 1.

I get the sense that the freezing comes when there is a mis-communication when it is trying to make the backup copy across to the other drive. But it is very fristrating because I can see no way around it. Please, I hope someone can keep me from having a $210 brick!

:confused:

Back