Network Browse button don't work.

kon21

Registered
Has anyone figured out how to get the Network Browse button to display Macs on the network?
If you go to the GO menu, the select Connect to Server, there is a Browse button there. I have never had any luck using it to find near by Mac that have file sharing on.
I can enter the afp:// address and connect to the Mac, so I know sharing is working, but why won't they appear when I click the Browse button?

TIA

Make sure you're on the same subnet mask, too... usually defaults to 255.255.255.0.

In addition, if you're trying to "see" older, OS 9 or OS 8 client machines that use AppleTalk, you'll have to specifically turn on AppleTalk using the Directory Access program in the Utilities folder.

All the above.
I used a cross-over cable, so there isn't much to 'scan'
both machines have the same submask 255.255.255.0
I'm trying to connect two 10.3 machines.

Here is another senario...
I have my Powerbook at work...(PC network) if I click the browse button...an empty window comes up (i don't even see the spinning dashes in the lower right)
Now if I enable 'Network' icon in my SideBar and click on it... everything appears. I see all the PC workgroups and domains.
Are the two windows supposed to be the same?

No, they're not, actually -- and that's a legitimate gripe that people have about 10.3. 10.3 came with a much improved network connectivity, but it still falls short in areas, and the fact that "Network" and "Network Browser" do not show the same things is one of them.

My favorite way to connect to another computer is a manual IP address, but that's just my preferred way. Back in the days of OS 7/8/9, the "Chooser" was great as it graphically showed you what computers and servers were available. For that, I would use the "Network" icon in the sidebar, or if you have new Finder windows set to show your Computer (instead of your Home directory or something), you can get to it that way as well... it should show up alongside your hard drives.

I don't really know -- but my OS X Server shows up there. That's about it, though. I believe when you hit "Browse," it's only going to show you servers (or other computers) that you've connected to previously, using the "Network" icon.

kon21 said:
All the above.
I used a cross-over cable, so there isn't much to 'scan'
This is not an argument for "not much to scan". Even when you simply have two machines in your network environment, the computer still asks if there are more. Btw, you know that you don't need to have the network cables cross-linked?
Anyway, even when you use the finder browsing directly it takes some time to resolve the network. I didn't know there is a difference between the Apple+K browsing and the direct finder browsing. However, as Diablo said, the best way is still to use Apple+K and smb://computername or afp://computername. You can add those adresses to your favourites and it should much better.

Btw, you know that you don't need to have the network cables cross-linked?
Depends on the machines he's connecting. Autosensing ports were not standard on pre-dual USB iBooks and on older iMacs. They are on all newer machines though.

Back