Network / External Hard Drive for PC and Mac

ncarraway

Registered
I'd like to use a network hard drive for storing all of my media (photos, mp3s, etc.). I'd like to access these files from both my PC and MacBook Pro. I have 3 questions:

1) If I want read/write access to this network device from both computers, must the drive be formatted in FAT32? And are there any limitations to the size of the hard drive or the files that can be written to it?

2) Also, do people know if I can point iPhoto to this hard drive for saving all of my "originals" on my Mac?

3) And if I remove all my iPhoto photos, does that screw up my iWeb website (which uses photos from iPhoto, which is currently saving the pics on my Macbook pro).

Thanks!!

Yes Fat32 would let you use it on both but there is a file limit just under 4G a file.

So what I have seen done needs a little shareware on the Windows side to make it possible (and have greater Windows security too). what I suggest is to format the drive with OS X Extended. Then on Windows install the software from MediaFour and install it on the Windows box. This way the Windows box will see the drive with no problem even though it is Mac formatted, even with long files names that the Mac uses), just like any other drive.

Back