Network needs an upgrade...

CharlieJ

R.I.P bobw
Hi guys,

I'm looking to renew my network as I have problems with my router crashing during gaming and in need of a 802.11n router.

I've been looking at a few N-Routers, I've been looking at the D-Link DIR-825, It looks good, although, it lacks an internal modem. I suppose, I could use my current router as a modem, and use the 'new' D-Link router along side that.
Although, I'm thinking that wouldn't solve the problem and i'd still have the router crash.

Another idea I had was to go for an Apple Time Capsule, Again, this lacks an internal modem, but. I have a spare PowerMac G4 and a PowerMac G3, I was thinking, I could use this as a modem and share the connection to the router via the ethernet port? I wasn't 100% on this, but I thought it would be a good for security and such... but Is the TimeCapsule a good router? Will this just crash like my netgear router?!

I could just go for another Ethernet Modem, but I don't know which one is good, is it a good idea to get a gigabit one for faster connections?

So, basically - My questions are:

Will the Time Capsule perform just like a normal 802.11n router?
Will my current router still crash during gaming only serving as a modem?
Will my PowerMac work as a Modem?
What is a good gigabit ADSL modem?

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Will the Time Capsule perform just like a normal 802.11n router?

As a user of a time Capsule I say NO! It's not as if it is bad but If the disk crashes you are screwed (it happened to me one time as was expensive to replace. When I help a family member I got him the Airport Extreme plus a low cost USB hard drive (using this one) and Time Machine worked perfectly without a hitch. Even after his internal crashed last month it worked (as long as he connected wired directly to the router) using his install disk.

Will my current router still crash during gaming only serving as a modem?

What router are you using?

Will my PowerMac work as a Modem?

If it has a modem built in. I thought you knew about such things.

What is a good gigabit ADSL modem?

Depends on what you get. Go to each manufactures site to see if it does ADSL then do a Google search for reports on it's performance.

As a user of a time Capsule I say NO! It's not as if it is bad but If the disk crashes you are screwed (it happened to me one time as was expensive to replace. When I help a family member I got him the Airport Extreme plus a low cost USB hard drive (using this one) and Time Machine worked perfectly without a hitch. Even after his internal crashed last month it worked (as long as he connected wired directly to the router) using his install disk.
Ok, Thanks for the advice.

What router are you using?
Netgear DG834PN

If it has a modem built in. I thought you knew about such things.
I know it will connect via DSL, but can I share that to an Airport Extreme?

Depends on what you get. Go to each manufactures site to see if it does ADSL then do a Google search for reports on it's performance.
Ok, I will have a look into it.

Thanks,
Charlie

Wireless is NOT good for gaming. You may get a 9ms latency sometimes but it will not be stable - your house geometry, other signals in the area etc are going to be a bigger factor than the router for this. If you are after a connection optimised for gaming, string an ethernet cable or get a powerline/homeplug setup that uses the electrical wiring in your house for an ethernet signal.

Here is an inexpensive one http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Peak-85Mpbs-Twin-Powerline-Homeplug-Networking-Kit though faster ones are available.

Other than the latency, the router crashing is a separate issue. You will still need an ADSL modem, this is NOT the same as the modem in your powermac. I personally like the netgears like you already have, in fact i have a DG834 and it is ok, but has issues with some uses. For instance programs that make a great deal of connections at once slow it to a crawl.

I think you should call your ISP, ask your ISP which modem they recommend. It looks like you are using DSL. You where using a modem/router/switch all in on product, not the best option. Buy a new modem and a new router/switch. Don't use the old stuff. I finf the Time Capsule to be a bit pricey. A dual band Airport Extreme will work good for you, I have it and have no issues. The WiFi will work for older games but it is always best to play games over Ethernet.

When you have an Airport Extreme behind another router that is plugged in the modem then run the Extreme in "Bridged" mode so that everything is on the same subnet that the router (that is connected directly to the modem) is dishing out.

Plus as others said wireless for gaming is not a very bright idea. The latency the wireless produces with the interference of microwaves, radios , wireless phones produce going wired in gaming is the only way to keep up on a game (when playing against others on the net).

Back