Network preference problems

tigrr

Registered
Here's the thing: I wanted to change some of my network settings, so I click on the Network control panel (found withing System preferences), make my changes and press the Apply now button.
What happens is that the beach ball starts spinning indefinitely and after a while I have to force quit it. I figured that the preference file was corrupt and looked for it in the usual place (~/user/Library/Preferences/) where nothing resembling the word "network" was to be found.

After quite a bit of searching on the web I came across this page where it says that the file I'm looking for is:
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

So I make a backup of it, then delete the original file and return to the Network control panel (expecting an empty setup).
Instead the dreaded beachball starts spinning again, and once again I have to do a force quit.
The same thing happens if I (instead of trying to change some existing settings) try to create a new location.

So finally I give up, thinking that there might be a permissions or ownership problem or something like that. I run Onyx, Apple's Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities/Disk utility) and AppleJack. Suprise, surprise! None of these tools solved my problem :(

You're on to something there!
I tried logging into another account on the same machine, and was able to create a new network location. I didn't try editing the existing ones.
I know I've messed around too much on my machine -installing/removing all sorts of stuff, messing around with system files and what have you.
I really need to back everything up at some stage, reformat and reinstall everything from scratch again.

Back