Network preferences can't be modified! I can't figure out what happened...

jackliamallen

Registered
Howdy... I'm posting here out of desperation and to end my eternal head-scratching over how to fix this... I'm running os x on a macbook pro, and I've never had any problems switching between different wifi networks. However this past month I switched service providers at home, and discovered that my mac automatically tries to connects to what I assume is the neighbors' wifi now (which is password protected, making it even more strange).

I can make it connect to my own network instead by pulling the airport status icon on the top bar down to it... but it's obnoxious to have to do this every time I start up the computer.

I know the way to fix this is to go into network preferences and change the order of preferred networks, but then i'm hit with the kicker.... for some reason, i cannot change any of those settings! They show up grey and unmodifiable. These are screencaps of what I'm talking about:

syspreffail1.jpg

and then there's this:
syspreffail2.jpg

any thoughts on what might be causing this or how I can fix it? Forgive me if there's some super obvious solution... but I cannot figure it out.

Thanks!

Did you notice the padlock in the lower left corner?
You have to 'Click the lock to make changes', and give your password when asked.
Then those settings will be available to you to change.

Back