Network problem

knutlig

Registered
Hi!

My network shut down 2 days ago. It has been up and running the last 2 years now, but shut suddenly down. When connection to internet directly via my modem it works. It also works if i connect via my router with a ethernet cable. What doesnt work is when i connect to my router wireless via Airport. Does anyone have a clue what is going on here?

Cheers Knut

Which model of airport do you have?
Is there a light?
Have you reset the airport?
Hard reset it?

My network shut down 2 days ago. It has been up and running the last 2 years now, but shut suddenly down. When connection to internet directly via my modem it works. It also works if i connect via my router with a ethernet cable. What doesnt work is when i connect to my router wireless via Airport. Does anyone have a clue what is going on here?

What do you mean by "shut down"?

On my Intel iMac running OS X 10.5.x, occasionally the Airport connection dies. The Airport icon in the menu bar shows a strong signal. The iStumbler program shows a strong signal. But no connection.

This can usually be corrected by clicking on the Airport icon in the menu bar and turning Airport off, then turning Airport back on again. Sometimes several repetitions are necessary.

I have been told that this is a known bug.

Yes, but what do you mean by "shut down"? What does the Airport icon on the menu bar indicate? Do you have a program such as iStumbler that will report the signal strength? Are there other computers on your network and are they able to access the Internet?

The Airport icon shows that there is a connection. The status now is that i can se my connection from my mac, i can access internet wireless from my phone, but when i try to connect my computer to internet it takes 3-4 minutes to open and download a page. it used to go in 2-3 seconds earlier. If i connect via ethernet it takes 2 seconds.

Ok we are going to suggest to get to the root of this problem and do a simple geek fix to fix this. So follow these steps.

1. Turn OFF ALL network airport connections. THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!

2. Go to the folder /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ and delete the files com.apple.airport.airportutility.plist .

3. Now go to the folder /YourHardDrive/Library/SystemConfiguration/ and delete the file com.apple.airport.preferences.plist .

4. Then go to the folder /YourHardDrive/Library/Preferences/ and delete the files com.apple.internetconfig.plist & com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist .

Then IMMEDIATELY restart. This is VERY IMPORTANT.

Upon the restart go To System Preferences (in the Dock)->Network and highlight the Airport section or hit the Assist Me button, put you wireless information back in to find your Network. Be wary what wireless you security you are using.

Good Luck.

One more thing: Go to the folder /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access and delete any entries of saved passwords to your network to reset the password possible problem.

I have a similar problem. Our two iMacs (an Intel and a G5) both connect to the Internet with no problem using Wifi, but they no longer can connect to one another over the Wifi. I *think* this problem arose only after I upgraded both machines to OS X 10.5.5. I can't be sure because Internet connection was unaffected and we never have cause to connect the two iMacs except when my wife wants to print something..

Have you recently upgraded to 10.5.5?

Hi Satcomer, thanks for your time.

Hmm, the geek fix did not work. Have you got any other clue on how to solve the problem?

Thanks

My friend is having a similar problem with her brand new Intel iMac. She has a relatively new Apple Airport base station as well. Her MacBook and work PC have no problems with internet access. She is running the latest version of the Mac OS with all updates. Her signal drops intermittently and she cannot load websites then. And this problem persists. The base station is about 12 feet away. She doesn't want to run a cable across the room, hence why she has the wireless.
It appears that this is a common problem to the newer iMacs. Any ideas on any work arounds?

Back