network user account

It's worth a shot -- I don't have a Leopard server here with me to really dive into this, but under 10.4 it was pretty simple (I think one of the documents I linked to was a how-to on network home folders under 10.4 server).

No go bro, let me document my steps:

after configuring the OD master, i installed the afp service under server admin, then went into workgroup manager, created a test unit, then went into the home tab, then clicked the + button and entered the following:

1st option- afp://myservername.server.com/Users
2nd option- username
3rd option- /Network/Servers/myservername.server.com/Users/username.

then i clicked the create home folder button then save- then i get the same error
the afp service is running, i dont know what i am doing wrong man!

What happens if, in option 3, you simply entered:

myservername.server.com/Users/username

instead of prefixing it with /Network/Servers?

no its doesnt work, it just creates a folder named the myservername.server and then creates the porfile local on the machine i log on to, so please help
i need for user to log on to any client machine then have the home dir show up on the server, thanks again!

Nope no go, what it does it makes a folder local on the machine i log on to with the user account, but i need the home folder to be on the server, i have tried everything any more ideas.

but isnt kerberos used for authentication? anyways is there is a simple guide to setup kerberos?

I think i know what the problem is, when i go into server admin & try to add a server to configure, i can not ever add server using its name eg. myserver.domain.com. the only way it works is when i use the ip address, how can i resolve that? please help. thanks!

Is the name of your server "myserver.domain.com"? If you ping that name, does it resolve to the IP address of the machine?

Also, unless the server is the DNS server and authoritative name server for your ".com" domain, you should typically use ".local".

Yup.

What is your domain name? Since your server name is "domain.com" (where "domain" is your domain name), and that resolves somewhere else, then your server being named "something.domain.com" won't resolve to your server.

Do you have a website that is hosted somewhere, or is another company responsible for the DNS records, on the domain "domain.com"?

I'll have to check on that and get back with the info, thanks so much for supporting my questions! and responding quickly!

In terms of the DNS records, the server is on the eternal network & so r the DNS servers so we are responsible for the eternal, so i think our DNS servers dont have a record of the mac server - ip address right? any help?

Last edited:
Yes, that would make finding the server difficult.

But it doesn't explain why the Server Admin doesn't recognize the "server.domain.com" name -- all computers should know their own name, regardless of whether there's a DNS server present or not. Are you using Server Admin and Workgroup Manager from the server itself, or are you connecting to the server from a different Mac?

Well at times i use a mac book which has admin tools install on it and i use server admin to connect to the server- i have to use the ip address to connect. At other times i use server admin right on the server & to connect on there i still have to use the ip address because the server.domain.com name does not work or register. so i think that is the problem because it is not resolving the server name to ip address. How can i fix that any idea?

Did you ever find out where "domain.com" resolves to? Also, you need to find out where "server.domain.com" resolves to, since that's what the server is called, right?

If you have domain.com resolving somewhere outside of your local network (like to a website hosted somewhere else), then the subdomain server.domain.com will proably resolve there, too -- or nowhere at all.

Like I said, unless this is an "outward-facing" server (a server that is directly connected to a static IP address and is the checkpoint between the network and the internet), then it's better to use "server.domain.local" instead of "server.domain.com" to prevent any issues with "domain.com" pointing to another IP address.

Nice ok i will rebuild the server & change it to server.domain.local & then i will report, thanks for the tip bro, GOD BLESS

Back