Network with your Vehicle

anyone ever consider installing and running a computer with itunes in your car? I was thinking something with wifi so you could sync your home computer with the computer in your car. other potential ideas would be to run other applications, such as something with iSight. Or even mapquest..... oh the possibilities
anyone ever do this?

Here's one I loved - http://www.mujmac.cz/art/hw/tatra_mac_eng.html .

Aside from that once I have a car worthy of a car computer I have the entire thing planned out :p There will be a few LCDs in the car so people can watch movies. It will be the MP3 player for the car. On top of that, it will have cameras (iSight) on all four sides inside to be used for security. That way if someone hits your car in parking lot and drives off you have a better chance of catching them. Plus if you were to get into an accident or something that wasn't your fault you would have proof of that. To add to these features, when you get home to your house, I thought it'd be awesome to auto-sync with the computers in your house and back up critical files. That way if the house burns you have a data copy of all your photos and other important stuff. Because if your backup is in the house, you've lost that too. To complete it, it would have a GPS system so you could see where you were going. Also could be hooked up to a cellphone for wireless Internet access on the go. I've been dreaming this for quite awhile. Maybe someday it'll become a reality :p Just my two cents.

Oh yeah lots of people do similar stuff, just check any sport compact tuning show site for lots of ideas. Clarion, Pioneer and Alpine, to name a few, make dash-mounted retractable touch-sensitive LCD displays with built-in DVD head units. You can easily connect a laptop via RCA to that system, and by extension to your car's sound system. Most of these display systems also have connectors for navigational systems and GPS trackers and stuff. Mind you, they're all pretty darn pricey.

But the ramafications of installing a keyboard in your car are more than some might think at first. A car stereo interface is designed to be simple and easy to use when you're not looking at it for safety, it's not as easy to navigate your iTunes music library while you're driving :p

http://www.clarion.com/usa/product/index.php?mod=details&category=multimedia&product=VRX935VD

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn...-D900&p_category=100&p_subcategory=&p_main=30

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/mec/category/0,,2076_3149,00.html

etc...

michaelsanford said:
Oh yeah lots of people do similar stuff, just check any sport compact tuning show site for lots of ideas. Clarion, Pioneer and Alpine, to name a few, make dash-mounted retractable touch-sensitive LCD displays with built-in DVD head units. You can easily connect a laptop via RCA to that system, and by extension to your car's sound system. Most of these display systems also have connectors for navigational systems and GPS trackers and stuff. Mind you, they're all pretty darn pricey.

But the ramafications of installing a keyboard in your car are more than some might think at first. A car stereo interface is designed to be simple and easy to use when you're not looking at it for safety, it's not as easy to navigate your iTunes music library while you're driving :p

actually, i already have most of the above mentioned already installed in my car. A panasonic dash-mounted DVD player with four clarion tv screens installed in head rests and what not, as well as a pioneer gps unit, and some other fun gadgets such as a playstation 2.
But that's not exactly what i'm looking for. i currently have a dual g4 in the house with the sole purpose of an itunes server, which by the way i'm still trying to configure. However, i thought it might be fun to think of a use (yet still not practical) for it, such as stuffing it in my car. for instance, having an itunes server in the car? or maybe have the isight for backing up. just looking for ideas....

Had a link to a guy running a PB Prismo in a car...looked nice. Seen a few mac ones here and there, and quite a few fools using the 'dark side'. Try looking/searching on the Sound Domain pages (www.sounddomain.com). I think that's where I saw most of them.

Thought about trying to find a cheap one to do something like that with mine, but money is tight right now and there's alot of other stuff that I could use it on. Maybe that'll be the fate of this iBook when those G5 PBs are introduced...who knows.

Back