Networking between Mac (10.3.9) and PC

imgeorge

Registered
Hi,

I have a PowerBook G4 running on 10.3.9 and a PC (WinXP Home SP2). At one point I was able to see the PowerBook and the PC from each other and do file transfer. But suddenly I can't access the PC from the PowerBook. I does see the PC in "Network", but when I click it, right after I enter the user name and password, the OS X says:

The alias "Desktop" cannot be open, because the original item cannot be found.

If I do the smb://xx.xxxx. , it says "......unexpected error occurs. Error Code: -50"

A few suspicions:
1. I newly installed the Kaspersky AV software on my PC. But even when I turned it off, I still couldn't access the PC from the Mac.
2. I turned off some system services on the PC to save some memory (but not "Computer Browser").

I made sure all the ports (TCP, UDP) are opened on both machines and they're in the same domain.

Please help!!

Cheers,
george

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Which services did you turn off?

I have to say that I don't remeber exactly. But they are included in the attached screenshot. I also changed some services from "Automatic" to "Manual". Does it matter? Bottom line is I can access the Mac fro PC with no problem at all, but NOT the other around, even with all the ports and workgroup, protocol settings checked.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DisabServ.JPG
    DisabServ.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 13
Back