Networking issue, Virgin broadband, iMac, Time capsule, windows 7

Witsend

Registered
Hi,
To give an overview I have virgin broadband which comes in through a super hub made by netgear. The wireless is turned off on that with a network cable running upstairs to a 1TB time capsule.

The time capsule has a media folder which stores all the shared data, providing a wireless network which is connected to a PC running windows 7 giving wifi coverage for one side of the house for iPhones and laptops.

I have a cable connection from the virgin media hub to the iMac which I in the conservatory. The iMac is set up to share the ethernet connection wirelessly and provide wifi coverage throughout the other half of the house and the garden.

Until recently I had everything set up and working great. For the past few days now the iMac has been displaying a 'self assigned ip' under ethernet connection, not connecting to the Internet or the time capsule, at times stating that the Ethernet cable is unplugged. I've read everything I can find on these issues, and have failed to resolve it.

If you need more information please ask. Thanks in advance for any help you provide.

A

Hi,
To give an overview I have virgin broadband which comes in through a super hub made by netgear. ...
Huh? What do you mean by super hub? If your super hub is a hub, then you must change to a router. The only output from your modem should go to your router. You may connect a router LAN port to your hub. However, you must connect nothing to your modem before your router.

I see that this is your first post. Your breezy narrative is easy to read, but it makes diagnosing your problems and prescribing solutions difficult. You should give specific information about each device in your setup including manufacturer and model number and how it is connected to other devices in the network.

Ok thankyou, I'll try to be more specific. The virgin super hub is netgear VMDG480.

The setup has worked. I recently upgraded to lion on the iMac but these problems started much later.

If I were you I would replace the Netgear (check with your ISP to make sure you can replace it) with the Time Capsule. Then to extend that wireless signal you can use an Airport Express. This way you can stretch that signal around upstairs.

Also if you want more Ethernet ports i would suggest get a switch like this one.

Just remember to reset your modem when you replace the device that is right behind the modem. This way the ISP server will look for a new MAC Address that will be connected to the modem.

Back