Networking Xp And Osx Tiger

sage_fallon

Registered
I am using SMB to share a firewire drive hanging off my Mac that has my mp3 collection. I can see the shared drive and have access to all the files from my PC. I can even stream the music. However if I am on the PC and select a file that I want to rename I always get an error that I do not have enough user rights to do this. I have checked the file access to folder and files are r/w. What else do I need to do so that I can be able to successfully edit a file name from my PC that is on the firewire drive hanging off my Mac?

Yeah, they are both the same. What's wierd is if the files are on the Mac I can edit them from my PC. However if the are on the Firewire drive hanging off the Mac then I can't edit them. So....you guessed it. I edit the files on the Mac before moving them to the Firewire. One more step but I still really wanted to understand why it wouldn't work the way I was trying it.

As far as I know, Windows File Sharing only shares what's in your home folder -- how did you get your external FireWire drive to show up?

I just edited the /etc/smb.conf file and created an SMB share to the Firewire drive. I use sharepoint (donationware) to create my shares, it's way easier to create and manage shares.

I've never done it through SharePoints, nor have I done it with the newer versions (10.3, 10.4) of OS X...but I don't think they'd be much different from 10.1.x though. When I did it on my beige box, I installed Samba 2.2.x (I think) and used the SWAT browser interface and PICO via the terminal to set the parameters. The end result was the Win2KPro users had access to their associated "home" folders on OS X as well as one main "shared drive" located on a different partition.

It's been a while...but there was an issue similar to what you're describing with the "shared drive". I think the answer was in the conf file...try looking at it for the FW drive's section and see if there's a parameter that says read-only = yes . If there is, change the yes to no and see if that fixes it. You'll need to reboot before it takes effect.

[global]
workgroup = workgroup

[fwdrive] <-- whatever you named your share
path = /somewhere/out/there
guest ok = no
read only = no <-- THIS

Back