Never-ending keychain Problem

ny156uk

Registered
Hi,

Problem:

1) The 'lock/unlock' icon in the system preferences does not work when I click it (i.e. it just flickers but doesn't do bring anything up).

2) Safari will not negotiate to secure-connection websites (e.g. my bank) because it claims not to be able to get a secure-connection (though IE will)

3) Safari crashes regularly the first time I load it, and often when switching between websites (it had previously hadn't crashed in 6 months of daily usage)

4) Choosing, for example, the 'show password' option in Keychain Access crashes it whenever clicked - then when I relaunch it asks me to create a new keychain

What things I have tried to fix it:

*I've ran disk utility which verifies disk permissions and repairs them without issue (but the problem persisted after - i've tried this several times)

*I've ran the keychain First Aid program which either says 'no problems found' (when keychain feels like working) or 'unable to communicate with securityserver process...' if it is playing up.

*I've deleted my existing admin-account and created a new one from fresh

*I've reinstalled Mac OS X with 'archive' old system (i.e. so I don't lose my iTunes/iPhoto library and other essential documents)

*I've updated every single update Software-update cares to throw at me

*I've deleted and reinstalled Safari (it seems to make it cause problems more often)

*I've added secondary accounts (even though i'm the only user) but the problem persists no matter which account is logged in

Basically i'm at my wits end as to how to resolve this without a full disk-format and reinstall (something i'm reluctant to do for obvious reasons). I'm geeky enough to be confident trying pretty much anything, and i've trawlled through so many websites/troubleshoot guides and none seem to suggest anything more than delete your keychain and start-again or run keychain-first-aid.

Any help/suggestions would be an absolute godsend because the issue doesn't stop me using the computer, or using most applications (though Safari is unbearable unfortunately) so i'm confident is fixable with the right know-how.

Sorry I forgot to add that i'm running the below system:

OS X 10.3.9
Airport Extreme Card
Nothing extra connect
Only nonstandard programs are VLC and Football Manager

Sorry, I can't help with your problem.

Is this in the correct forum? The new Intel Macs don't run 10.3.x do they?

Yeah I accidentally put in here but didn't know how to move it/whether i could move it the appropriate forum.

(Didn't realise until i'd posted that it said (intel) at the start!)

Back