New ads? Not cool

dlloyd

Official Pianist
I can't reply to the Announcement that Scott made, so I am starting a new thread.

I don't like this new form of advertising: a whole page ad every ten clicks. I guess if they create revenue for the site, then fine, but I personally would prefer to have a few more small ads on all the pages. If the object of them is to convince me to become a paying member, then I can assure you right now that it is not going to change my outlook on this topic even one iota. If anything, they are just going to make me mad.
Oh, and another thing: ads are supposed to make we want to do something with the advertiser, right? Well, I'm not even going to look at these ads, and if I ever do, the way they are being presented is only going to put me off whatever you are trying to promote.
Now, I understand that they may still generate $$$, even if I don't look at them, but I do not agree with the way you are going about it.
What if you did a pop-up? Most of us use pop-up blockers, but you would still get cash that way...

P.S, how do I become a 'volunteer', like Scott mentioned? Or do you need a new Mod or something? I am perfectly happy to help, I want to help, I just can't afford to donate cash to you.

Sure, ads are annoying, but something/someone has to pay the bills. So, if ads can keep me from being the one paying, I'm all for it. At least there's not popups. Are there? I wouldn't know since I block 'em. 8^)

- G!mpy

Because I am really predictable? :D
Maybe you will have to mention me by name in your next announcement, something like "Oh, and dlloyd: don't bother to complain, I already know exactly what you are going to say!" ;)
But couldn't we have an option in the control panel or something to have either the full-page ads, small ads on all pages, or a pop-up? I won't mind so much if they were interesting ads, but I don't want to be Mac Certified, thank you very much, so most of these current ads have no appeal to me.
Like I said, I really do want to help, I just want to help in a non-financial way!
I guess all of this is based out of the fact that I really like this site. It is the only forum I am signed up with, and I just want it to be the best it possibly can be. I guess I could compare it to a child: (although I obviously don't have one) you love you child, you want the best for it. You don't mind sacrificing some things for it, but you are angry if it makes bad choices. (In your opinion). < /cheesy example>

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate Scott and everything he does for this site. I just don't really agree with the choice he has made, and I really don't like being treated like slime on the bottom of a shoe when I try to help and suggest other ways that I think it could be better done. :)

Howdy Scott,

Just thought that I would mention that the new adds have been causing me some technical dificulties here. The first time I tried to get to this thread I had to go through 3 ads and then when I tried to post a reply it vanished. Although that last thing might have just been a case of operator error.

-Eric

There are many, many solutions for getting a forum to "pay for itself" so to speak. None are perfect. Pro's and con's for each. Popups don't really cut it since many people will/can just block 'em resulting in no $$$ for the site. Large ads pay more than small ads. I have seen some sites go the "you pay $x/mo to have smaller or no ads with pretty good success. But, that sort of thing never appeals to everyone. Scott might consider merchandising. However, that typically requires at least some $$$ up from for getting things designed (coffee cups, T-shirts, etc...) and getting an order system in place. So...that might not be a consideration right now...maybe later.

A neat idea might be to hold a design contest for a macosx.com forums logo for stickers...then put 'em on shirts and all that. That way, you will be selling a logo that people like because you can have them vote for which they like best.

- G!mpy

Geez, I swear Scott has jinxed my account or something! ;)
I can live with an ad every ten pages, but I every two? I can't live with that :(
;)

I agree with dlloyd, the ads may be necessary but the way they have been implemented is annoying and detracts from the general experience of browsing this site. They are also useless to many users, resulting in only frustration and confusion.

I don't mind the ads in themselves, but there are a wee bit too many of them. Some sites have these kind of ads, but forward you automatically to the page you requested after a certain amount of time (3-5-10 seconds). Maybe that is a workable alternative ...

I am a long time poster on these forum, in fact it is the only form i post on.

I understnad that you need to bring in money to fund the site, and yes if i had money to spear i would donate, however i do not, as is the posstion of many on the board im sure.

To be come a 'no ad memeber' do you have to give money regulally or a one off?

Just my question

Adam

ps applogiese for the spelling im not too good at it, Apple should put spelling in Safai :p

Well, the contributing members, mods, and 'volunteers' don't see them. That is why you don't, toast. :)
I want to be a mod or a volunteer! ;)
But more about the ads: they are fine in themselves; if you present them in a less obtrusive way then I won't complain. It is the way they are shown that annoys me. I personally can't browse the site if I have to stop every too pages to click on a teeny weeny little link at the bottom of a big boring ad. This goes against the rules of interface design (too many clicks to do one thing) and it mightily annoying. If they were auto-forwarding, this would be better.
I understand that they may be annoying on purpose to get more donations for the site, but I haven't donated, I can't donate, I have no plans to donate, and putting annoying ads all over the site isn't going to make me donate. I hate the ads, it is giving those companies 'bad' brand name recognition with me, and it is making me annoyed.
Now if they are making the site piles and piles of cash, then they aren't so bad, (they still aren't presented nicely though...) but from Scott's announcement, it seemed like the reason they are here is to get more Contributing Members "by being more in their face".
I'm not going to become a Contributing Member because you are annoying me, so can't you give me some other way to help? I really want to get rid of these ads, if I can :)

Well, nor am I endorsed with coercitive power, nor am contributing in any other form than text to this forum, so I don't understand: I can't see those ads ! What is this all about ?

I'm using Safari v74 on MacOS X 10.26, cookies come and go, Java is okay, and I just get those forum pages like in the old days. Moreover, i've stayed with the brown theme, the new one being tiring for the eye and graphically debatable.

If you read Scott's announcement, you will see that he says that Mods won't see the ads, just the members who 'haven't paid up yet' :)

1) The ad system is being tested out, may have a few bugs, please send me a private message and I will address them. One has already been fixed related to posting. You won't get a ad page if you are posting a reply even if your "number is up" and you are to get one.

2) No volunteer or mod positions are currently available. Especially for those who complain all the time.

3) A one time donation is all that is required to remove the ads and become a contributing member.

1) So what is the exact number of pages that we are supposed to get ads after?

2) Whatever, I don't think of this as complaining, rather more of 'contsructive criticism' on how to better implement the ads, if they indeed are necessary.
I would think that if you are going to force ads on those of us who are not Contributing Members, then you should come up with some other way of helping for those who simply don't have the cash to donate! :rolleyes:

3) I never said otherwise, did I? :)

Originally posted by dlloyd
1) So what is the exact number of pages that we are supposed to get ads after?

Currently 5.

2) Whatever, I don't think of this as complaining, rather more of 'contsructive criticism' on how to better implement the ads, if they indeed are necessary.
I would think that if you are going to force ads on those of us who are not Contributing Members, then you should come up with some other way of helping for those who simply don't have the cash to donate! :rolleyes:

I have, they are called advertisements.

3) I never said otherwise, did I? :)

Wasn't talking to you.

Back