New Apple Ads

Captain Code

Staff member
Mod
From Maccentral :

Apple's making a concerted effort to interest Windows users in its product with a new advertising campaign, according to CNET News.com. The new ad campaign is themed "Real People," and it kicks off this week.

The new ads feature Windows users who have made a successful switch to the Mac. The TV ads were directed by famed documentarian Errol Morris, whose previous credits include "Gates of Heaven," "The Thin Blue Line," and "A Brief History of Time." The ads were filmed using the Interrotron, a camera of Morris' own creation that uses mirrors to help interview subjects look directly into the camera lens instead of off-screen at an interviewer.

The ads reportedly feature "a cross section of Windows switchers" -- eight folks ranging from a college student to a writer to a Windows network administrator. The new campaign will be featured on TV and in print advertising, and will be tied to a new spot on Apple's Web site too.

Sounds good to me, and about time too!

I bet this will do Apple a lot of good. Right now they are in the position that everybody knows about their products, but they just don't see why they should buy them. This campaign should help to remedy that, I hope. :cool:

i want to see how PC's market their product when they release a new processor based off the motorola efficient g4 and back down the number, PC people are confused now, wait until Intel releases a 800 mhz and drops down from a 3 ghz. it will be funny to see this

i wonder if it would be great to have more apple users than PC users.. everybody thinks im a computer guru cause i can do things on a computer, and theirs are so hard to do anything on.. if alot of people switch (which will be great to have them in the apple family) will it be good for us die hard users???

i think the coolest thing is the fact that they deicated an entire section ( the tab between Store & iTools )... pretty cool , shows this is most likely gonna be their new "drive" to sell machines.

I think this is a great campaign for Apple. While I was a little dubious about "Everything is easier on a Mac", I think this "Real People" campaign is much better.

I just had to smirk when I heard Liza Richardson say that her iBook "holds a special place in [her] heart". Try and get a PC user to say that! And then there was Sarah Whistler who blatantly said her PC was "a horrid little machine". Hahaha that's great.

It seems like Apple isn't at all bashful in taking Microsoft head-on, and I think that's a good thing. Maybe we CAN make it to 10% market share after all, with Mac OS X.

I also like it how Apple is maintaining their all white background. It takes the focus off of the potentially distracting background and focuses the viewer's attention on the actual person. Even the body language of the people themselves illustrate what they are saying – like Dave Haxton who was waving his hands in a funny way when he was saying "pointy-headed intellectuals from California". :) The music is kind of catchy too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really like it. ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing one of the computers in the background tho. I really liked the iPod movie thing that was (and should be still) on the apple website with Seal and Moby because the computers or the iPod were right there. It's pretty obvious that they are actors, but at least the letters are real.

There's a "Tell your friends"-thing. I already mailed to 30 people!! Including my school,they wanted no more macs in our school, i hope when they see the Switch-section they're going to realize that it isn't a good idea to get rid of those Macs!!

senne.

I think I got a "Reason to Switch" dilema going on here in my home network. :D

All of a sudden my PC does not see the network (altho the "Network connected" icon comes up), pluging in my Digital Camera (first time since I boght it) causes it to reboot... And to find out what was wrong with my friend's Camcorder, we pluged it into my Mac (we all assumed it was the PC since something similar happened before).

And while on the phone with a friend of mine, trying to email me something "oh, wait - I got a blue screen" and starts reading me the error (which I tuned out) meanwhile I felt like the bully in The Simpsons, pointing and saying "HAHA" ;)

My Mac has not caused me any problems or hartship whatsoever! OS9 was great, OSX is a dream... it's very fast and packs a good punch. Sometimes I even wonder why I have the AMD, all it does is it plays a couple of games I don't have for Mac that I hardly play anymore...

I already have a Linux box, plus my Mac with Darwin... And I can't even think of giving the PC to my mom - even though she wants to learn how to use a computer, I'll be damned if I'll teach her on that blasted thing (I love her too much to do that to her! lol), plus she wants the new iMac (remember, she knows NOTHING of computers! yet she wants it! lol).

I honestly think my Windows (and PCs in general?) days are finally coming to an end... I just can't think of a reason to build or buy another PC for myself (of course I'll still be doing it for others, but that's besides the point).

I might switch hardware and put Linux on the faster PC. But a new one? Nah...

Now, how to sell off a PC to buy another Mac? Hmmm... ;)

What I had said in my last reply is that I had written an email to Apple from the Switch page. I told them one of the reasons I had switched to a Mac was so I could burn cds.

I told them they should tell people about me and the hundreds of other people that have written letters to support@apple.com. They should tell about all of us pc converts who can't burn cds.

Then I said...I doubt that would help you sell Macs, though.

I actually don't want Apple to ever have more than, say, 50% of the market share, because there is a slight possibility that if they did, they could turn into Microsoft. I think its better to have a smaller percentage, but right now we DO need more people so we will be taken seriously and have more compatibility.

I think Apple should buy Virtual PC from Connectix and bundle it with their computers, it would be Great, cuz PC users would switch and we could run all those Windows-Only Apps

WHATS WITH ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE IN THOSE ADS????

Wheres the "token" Latino or black guy to show diversity????

Not trying to stir up anything.........just saying my first impresion??

But i think the Idea of the ads and bringing in PC's to the apple stores, Plus the virtualPC demo's are the marketing that apple needs.

but I do think that they should have started 7-8 months earlier on that concept.

culo77 : That is nice to hear. It was my first impresion to. Apple has for me always been something more than the white trash pc-culture.

I went so sad when Apples changed the colorful Apple logo to the new white one. The old one was reminding me of the Pride movement (gay thing for you who dont know).

More culturejamming Apple! :D

Originally posted by culo77
WHATS WITH ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE IN THOSE ADS????

Wheres the "token" Latino or black guy to show diversity????

Not trying to stir up anything.........just saying my first impresion??

But i think the Idea of the ads and bringing in PC's to the apple stores, Plus the virtualPC demo's are the marketing that apple needs.

but I do think that they should have started 7-8 months earlier on that concept.

Hmmm... at first look I thought Liza (the DJ) was hispanic, but now that I payed closer attention to her name it doesnt look like it... :p

interesting culo..

i didnt even think of that, till u mentioned it.

you have a point :)

i also agree these people just look like freaks or geeks or something.
i hope this campaign works for apple.

i personally dislike the ad campaign. it might help apple's marketing share, and that's a good thing, but the personal impression i get is that the mac's the computer for the dumb average person (i know, that's where the market is). i feel let down a bit, as i'm actually proud to have paid so much for my titanium. if they all held ibooks and imacs, that'd be okay for me, as those are the consumer computers, but i actually love being part of the elite few. ah well, as i've said, if it sells macs, it's good for me, too.

Originally posted by dtmdoc

i also agree these people just look like freaks or geeks or something.
i hope this campaign works for apple.

I will still stick by the concept of apple's new marketing

no offense to the people in the ads, BUT where in the !@#$% did they find that bunch of @#$%.

Thank you apple for the great laugh today.

Back