New Apple Ads

first - hi to jaybeekay in cowtown. Go buckeyes!!

then - i would guess that if apple wanted to make it diverse, they would have. In the SF bay area, whites are the minority. asians and hispanics combined have us outnumbered. not that many people care, but that is how it is. and the points about these being pc users to start with is a good one. frankly, other ethnicities should feel almost honored to be left out.

besides the black guy in the dancing imac commerical was great. :)

still, I find those people rather dorky. the message for me is, that if you are a lamer, a (l)user, a whatever: Choose the Macintosh.

If you want to use real people, why not use really cool 'real situations'? Like what happened to me, when I was teaching webdesign classes:

Teacher enters the room with his Titanium PowerBook under his arm. Some students chuckle and you hear one say 'He's got a Mac!'. The students have Dell (or whatever) notebooks. You can see the strange small antennae on the side of each notebook. "Okay, startup your computers, launch a web browser," says the teacher. "Let's look at some design examples." You can hear some beeping sounds. The teacher attaches his PowerBook to the video-projector and a Mac OS X Desktop appears instantly on the wall. Closeup of AirPort signal rate: All five bars. He brings a browser to the front (whatever choice, why not IE to show that there IS IE for Mac, choice is good!) and enters the URL of some nice website, while the students start to say things like 'Can't connect!', 'The notebook can't download my profile from the server.' and stuff like that. In reminiscence of an old Apple ad, the teacher could make helpful comments in the following order:

1) "Hmm... Try to restart the machine."
2) "Still no-go? Is there some utility for the wireless network access? Ah, you don't have administrative access to the machine."
3) "Can you try to ping another machine on the network?"
4) "Gosh, the school should buy a bunch of iBooks or somethin'."

Billmac.jpg

mac_ad3.jpg

Originally posted by Tormente
Guys, you haven't noticed? This is what PC people look like - not Mac people! They *just* now converted to Mac, give them time - they'll look like Mac people sooner or later! ;)

DUDE!!!

i was a PC owner, and I look nothing like those individuals... Im about
6'3, 250 lbs, bald with goatee and black... But I digress.

PS: what does a mac owner look like so i know what i will turn too ?

:D

dtmdoc - sounds like you have been a mac owner all your life, you just didn't know it yet:D (bald with goatee :cool: )

stereotypes aren't always true, but sometimes they are - they didn't just invent themselves. so mac users tend to be just a little more 'expressive' in their appearance a lot of the time. i could come up with lots of rational reasons for this but just remembering apple's last ad campaign should be enough - we not only "Think Different", we look and act different as well.

but what is different? hmmm. lots of different answers to that one:D

but hey dtmdoc, i'll go out on a limb here and guess that while you're black, you don't tend to think of yourself as being an 'average black man'. I'm guessing you see yourself as more than average in a lot of ways. and since you're using a mac now, i figure you are more than average in many areas of your life. (you got here before the commercial, right?;) )

I like the new campaign. I also think that they are stressing their straight. Easy of use. Great for people who are dumb with computers. I have been a die hard PC user my whole 22yo life. I got my first computer when I was a tike. An IBM PS/1. It has the large and small floppy drive and a 186MB hard drive I think.

I grew up with PC's and loved PC's. I did a report in High School on Bill Gates and bought his book the day it came out. I could use my Windows program inside and out. My parents could not. They still can't.

I went to Art school for computer animation and Industrial design. There I was introduced to the iMac. The CRT one. They were amazing looking (I always was a sucker for design). Still when it came time to buy my fourth computer when I started college I bought a big mighty custom built PC. Well after like four years of use, it started dying.... like the other three before it. At this point I had lost interest in computers. I no longer had the time to fiddle with them. I decided not to buy a new computer. Once this one died, I was done. Problem was I needed a new mp3 player. I workout 4 days a week, and roller blade non-stop, so an mp3 player was important to me.

Then I saw it. The flat screen iMac. I was in love. And Apple had the iPod. I went out and bought an iMac with a SuperDrive the next day, and an iPod as well. That was in May, and I have not looked back. Since then I have bought the Adobe design collection; started teaching myself html, css, java script, and flash; am soon buying a $3000.00 DV cam; and started to love all things Apple. As crazy as it sounds to even myself... the iMac has re-inspired my passion to create.

Since I have been using it I have learned that they are simple for anyone to use. But they are so complex as well, but only if you want them to be. I wish to this day that my parents would have bought a Mac. Their computer experience would be so much better.

That is what I think these commercials stress. And I say good for Apple.

Originally posted by dtmdoc

DUDE!!!

i was a PC owner, and I look nothing like those individuals... Im about
6'3, 250 lbs, bald with goatee and black... But I digress.

PS: what does a mac owner look like so i know what i will turn too ?

:D

hahahah...i'm bald with a goatee and black too!!

Hum

I did not know that there was a new one. I have not seen that one yet. I think it is interesting though. I wonder how many people will know he is the editor and Vice President of "The New Yorker"? I wonder if they will put this one up on Apple/switch site? And I also wonder if they plan on bring more "celebrity" like people into their add campaign. I think it would be helpful kind of like the "falling into the Gap" campaign with all those celebs....

Link::
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/27.switch.php

Matthew

:: inlineguy.com ::

Back