New ATI x800 for Mac

pwharff

Registered
I want this card!!! ::love::

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/14/ati/index.php

Actually this card will work perfect for what I need. I have a Dual 2.0 G5 with the older 23 inch cinema display and I must say that I'm not very impressed with my GeForce FX 5200 that came with my system.

So here was my dilema before the announcement of the X800:

I wanted something as powerful as the 6800 but with an ADC connector to drive my OLD 23 inch.

Now I can with the X800. BTW, I've owned Nvidia cards in my previously owned Macs and never had a problem. Any problems or reasons why I shouldn't go ATI or Nvidia?

Oh yeah, also: Any ideas or predictions on when this might be available?

Yeah, there 2 ADV to DVI adapters I could buy:

1) Belkin ADC to DVI
Pro: It's cheap and simple. Doesn't take up much space.
Con: I lose my USB slots on my Cinema display

2) Apple ADC to DVI
Pro: I can keep my USB slots on my Cinema display
Con: Expensive and is bulky

Best solution: Buy a great graphic card with ADC built-in

I am all for ATi man. Both are good cards, for a while ATi was really kicking nVidia's butt, but now things are a lot more even. For the most part, what I have seen is that the x800 out performs the 6800, except in Doom3 it seems. However, a worker at ATi found that they were usuing a shader that was only really supported on the nVidia cards or something, its a quick fix and supposedly makes the game run at or better than the nVidia cards.

ATi cards just seem smarter. If you look at any of the recent nVidia cards they are freaking huge with gigantic heat sync fan combos on them. The ATi series are much smaller and generate less heat and produce the same performance.

Yes HateEternal, this is true. But when it comes to right here and now. The x800 isnt available is it?

All I know is if the x800 sells for $500 US or less, I WILL buy it! I just hope it won't sound like a hair dryer.

I miss the times when game developers had to live with old hardware and squeeze every bit (!) out of what was available. Years after the Amiga's introduction, new games would still be able to amaze users graphically... These days are over, sadly. I guess I'll never again start playing computer games, mostly because I'd suddenly be caught in that never-ending war of having to either buy new hardware or stick with old games. Do I want to stick with old games? Yep, but then I can just keep on playing Marathon Infinity on an old Mac, Tetris on my Nokia 6600 and Super Mario Bros. on the GameBoy. It's the same (or even more) fun, basically...

Somebody likes to live in the old world. Times have changed Fryke, and we need a video card that can handle the most demanding games such as Doom, Quake, and my personal favorite, Halo. Even though i hear Halo 2 doesn't seem likely on the OS X.
So I'm fighting between the ATI X800 and the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL. Both are costly and I want to make sure I make the right decision. When does the ATI X800 come into the market for the G5? Will Apple sell it through their web page?

Times have changed, games are more demanding on hardware but are games more fun? I've still not found an RPG that can come close to the fallout series.

Bout bloody time a Mac got a 256MB card.

Though I still don't like Macs for games. I mean, the only machine serious enough to tackle a hardcore game is the Power Mac G5, and it costs way more than full-spec PC that has a million more games available to it.

Veljo, this "it costs more" is crap.

Go and buy a HIGH END machine from HP or AlienWare or SUN, with simmilar specs and you will find it's simmilar in price.

Veljo said:
Bout bloody time a Mac got a 256MB card.

Though I still don't like Macs for games. I mean, the only machine serious enough to tackle a hardcore game is the Power Mac G5, and it costs way more than full-spec PC that has a million more games available to it.

The Radeon 9800 Pro has been available with 256MB for some time now.
And noticed now you can get a 6800 GT for a $100 less than the Ultra now.
Based on my PC experiences, the GT is so close to an Ultra the difference won't be noticed.

As for the Apple Store, I only see the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition for $399, and the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL for $549 (those might be education prices, i'm not sure). However, I do not see the 6800 GT. Is the 6800 GT made for the G5?

Ok, i bought the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL. If anyone thinks this was a bad idea, I have 60 min. to change my order! -gulp-

Yes I do believe those are education pricing. Look at displays you should see the 6800 GT listed in there are well as all the other cards. Unless for some odd reason the 6800 GT is offered at a education discount.

ichadsey said:
Ok, i bought the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL. If anyone thinks this was a bad idea, I have 60 min. to change my order! -gulp-

Like I said either card is awesome. The Radeon 9800 Pro is not in the same league as the 6800 GT or Ultra. The GT will save you $100 bucks. Will you see a $100 dollar performance difference out of it? Probably not, but rest assured you have the top of the line Mac video card for quite some time to come.

Back