New binary Apache build for Darwin!

@#$%$@#!!!

I downloaded and unpacked the new Apache.. first, it dumped everything in my own home directory and created "System" "Library" and "/usr" in my home directory. Probably my fault, but oh well.. so I deleted all that crap, moved the tarball to / and unpacked it there. Yay! It isntalled the right stuff in the right places. I think...

[localhost:/usr/sbin] root# httpd -v
Server version: Apache/1.3.14 (Darwin)
Server built: 10/13/00 19:19:06
[localhost:/usr/sbin] root#

YAY!!! It SEEMS to be working. I killed Apache with apachectl restart (tried stop, then start and all the other things listed in the help) and then did this: (and notice the exact result)

[5:19pm] 29 [~]:localhost% telnet localhost 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.(censored).com.
Escape character is '^]'.
hi
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>501 Method Not Implemented</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Method Not Implemented</H1>
hi to /index.html not supported.<P>
Invalid method in request hi<P>
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.12 Server at h-206-222-228-209.(censored).com Port 80</ADDRESS>
</BODY></HTML>
Connection closed by foreign host.
[5:19pm] 30 [~]:localhost%

$@%$#^%#*%$@#&!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It still says 1.3.12!!
"Maybe Dr_Stein has multiple copies of the httpd binary!"
Nope..
[localhost:/Users/jnichols] root# find / -name httpd
/usr/sbin/httpd
[localhost:/Users/jnichols] root#

Anybody had any luck with this yet? :)
 
Uhh... I think I fixed it.

The apachectl script didn't really work like I thought it would, and I did ./httpd stop too, which seems to have confused it.

ps -aux |grep httpd and ps -aux |grep apache and KILL -9 the process numbers... then re-check to make sure they were all really dead..

THEN I ran this: (comment marks added to disable obnoxious HTML)

[localhost:/usr/sbin] root# apachectl stop
apachectl stop: httpd stopped
[localhost:/usr/sbin] root# ps -aux |grep httpd
[localhost:/usr/sbin] root# ps -aux | grep apache
[localhost:/usr/sbin] root# apachectl start
apachectl start: httpd started
[localhost:/usr/sbin] root# telnet localhost 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.(censored).com.
Escape character is '^]'.
hi
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<!--<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>501 Method Not Implemented</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Method Not Implemented</H1>
hi to /index.html not supported.<P>
Invalid method in request hi<P>
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.14 Server at localhost.(censored).com Port 80</ADDRESS>
</BODY></HTML>---->
Connection closed by foreign host.
[localhost:/usr/sbin] root#


As you can see, it's now at 1.3.14. YAY!

Sorry for both of my long posts, but hopefully they'll help someone else. At the very least, when I install it on another box, I won't make the same DUMB mistakes twice! :)
 
GAH, I cut too much out.. but it actually says this:
Apache/1.3.14 Server at localhost.(censored).com Port 80

Don't forget this:

[localhost:/usr/sbin] root# httpd -v
Server version: Apache/1.3.14 (Darwin)
Server built: 10/13/00 19:19:06
[localhost:/usr/sbin] root#
 
Top