New boot screen in 6c106

wah! the smiley-face is gone!!! *snif* ... here's to a good old friend... gonna miss you... :/

eh..I kinda just like the plain apple...the smiley face was nice, but it was just a smiley face..not really the picasso style mac smiley face...just having the apple gives it a cleaner look too

I like it too. Gives the Mac a clean look, instead of that old PBSish looking finder icon. The branding by Apple is very nice, and well thought. I'd love to work for there design team.

its going to look awesome.

jaguar is looking so polished now compared to 10.1, its really quite a pleasant surprise in my opinion.

one thing I havent checked on is whether we get minimize onto the desktop or is it still taken out as in the 6c9x builds??

Is the feature from 9 and previous where you click the desktop and all open windows come to front in 10.2?

I plan to boot up my powerbook exactly 1 time in 10.2.. then just sleepy... wakey..sleepy... wakey.. until 10.3... or whatever comes next...

10.1 has let me do that (I think I have rebooted ONE time in the last 2 months...) since I dumped linux and came back to the wonderful world of Mac OS X.

Still.. it will be nice for those fleeting 20 or so seconds to see a pretty apple logo. :)

-quangdog

NOOOOOOOOOoooooo!

Call me old-fashioned, but I like a computer that smiles at me when turn it on. It wouldn't be so bad if it displayed the Mac OS smiley logo while starting up, like OS 9 did... but I need it to smile at me at one point or another!

Oh well... guess I'll just have to settle for the smile in my Dock now...

Is this different than the Mac OS X booting up screen that shows what's going on? Starting Web Server? Starting Network Services? etc?

-Rob

I won't be pleased until I can configure my own startup icon and sound ;)

There has been a discussion about this before, but does anyone know where the startup icon/screen is stored, and in which format?

hmm... i'll still miss the smiley face, it's been with me for more than 15 years now. but right, the apple looks clean and good. it's just that, *snif*, well, i'll miss it.

My guess is that the hello thing was removed because Steve didn't like it, and that the apple logo is just temporary while the graphics designers work on coming up with something better ;)

Originally posted by ksv
I won't be pleased until I can configure my own startup icon and sound ;)

There has been a discussion about this before, but does anyone know where the startup icon/screen is stored, and in which format?
since Apple can do it, it is obviously possible. but it probably isn't in /system or /library though :rolleyes:

anyways, it would be really awesome if we could change that.

rharder, this boot screen being shown is in place of the little smiley Mac icon that appears on your screen BEFORE the boot panel appears.

I will definitely miss the Classic Mac startup icon, though. That's been on the Mac ever since it was created, and it will be sad to see it go! *sniff* :( I dunno if I can get used to just a plain Apple logo. :_(

(On a totally random note: isn't it just frickin' awesome that Apple can hide the command line ENTIRELY from people who don't want to see it? I mean, you actually have a BOOT SCREEN instead of lines of UNIX code floating past you. I dunno how Apple did it, but I'd just like to say that they did an exemplary job of making UNIX work like a Mac.)

Back